• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

will he hate me

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
i ended up getting a female and a male
As they are male/female, if the hen ever lays any eggs, be sure you boil it (mark it with a dot using a sharpie) and put it back where you found it.
I say to use a small amount of sharpie, just in case she eats it. Alternatively you can buy a set of dummy eggs and just do the switcheroo (that´s what I do, so much easier)
Don´t just remove any eggs because she will very likely lay another to make up for it.

Just wanted to let you know all of that well in advance to avoid any accidental babies (something that should be left for experienced breeders).
Also because ´tiels can turn into notorious layers (which can lead to serious problems), so you will want to avoid encouraging her to lay. Don´t offer any huts, nest boxes, or any other nesty type nooks.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
As they are male/female, if the hen ever lays any eggs, be sure you boil it (mark it with a dot using a sharpie) and put it back where you found it.
I say to use a small amount of sharpie, just in case she eats it. Alternatively you can buy a set of dummy eggs and just do the switcheroo (that´s what I do, so much easier)
Don´t just remove any eggs because she will very likely lay another to make up for it.

Just wanted to let you know all of that well in advance to avoid any accidental babies (something that should be left for experienced breeders).
Also because ´tiels can turn into notorious layers (which can lead to serious problems), so you will want to avoid encouraging her to lay. Don´t offer any huts, nest boxes, or any other nesty type nooks.
why would i boil thm or remove them?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Cockatiels can up to 6 eggs, if they hatch you would be stuck with a few baby cockatiels to raise and comfort. That is if the parents choose not feed or take care of them. Raising baby tiels is not a job for an unexperienced owner.

Not to mention you would need to buy even more cages and supplies.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Cockatiels can up to 6 eggs, if they hatch you would be stuck with a few baby cockatiels to raise and comfort. If the parents choose to not feed them than you will have to and that is not a job for an unexperienced owner. Not to mention you would need to buy even more cages and supplies.
i got 2 for them to mate , i would sel the babies when they get old enough

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
why would i boil thm or remove them?
So that they don't hatch. Raising chicks is hard because so many things can go wrong - everything from parents injuring or even killing their chicks, inexperienced parents abandoning them, chicks not being able to digest food, yeast and bacteria infections and so on. Even experienced breeders sometimes lose babies. Please trust me when I say that you do not have the experience, knowledge or support to take on this task. It's not a judgement - I don't either. It's critically important that you understand your limitations and do not allow your birds to have babies.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I don't think that is a good idea.. You got them from the same breeder right? The birds could be siblings and would then inbreed which can cause issues for the baby cockatiel.

As I mentioned before, if they choose not to feed them then you would have to and could risk getting them sick. You would have to wake up early in the morning just to accommodate their needs which is hard to handle during school.

Maybe do this after a few years or when you have more time on your hands and have been dealing with birds for longer.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
So that they don't hatch. Raising chicks is hard because so many things can go wrong - everything from parents injuring or even killing their chicks, inexperienced parents abandoning them, chicks not being able to digest food, yeast and bacteria infections and so on. Even experienced breeders sometimes lose babies. Please trust me when I say that you do not have the experience, knowledge or support to take on this task. It's not a judgement - I don't either. It's critically important that you understand your limitations and do not allow your birds to have babies.
ohh no no no i would not be doing any of that , the previous owners and my dad are friends and they have 26+ years with birds and they would come and help ( they live up the street)

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
I don't think that is a good idea.. You got them from the same breeder right? The birds could be siblings and would then inbreed which can cause issues for the baby cockatiel.

As I mentioned before, if they choose not to feed them then you would have to and could risk getting them sick. You would have to wake up early in the morning just to accommodate their needs which is hard to handle during school.

Maybe do this after a few years or when you have more time on your hands and have been dealing with birds for longer.
no they are not siblings , sugar my female was bought into the home from a different breeder 3 years ago

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Breeding Birds is a very serious and I don't think that you should do it, just because you want to. Do you realize what you will do if the parents are not very good at feeding or even taking care of the babies? Or if anything goes wrong? What happens if they abandon a baby and you have to handfeed it? You say you can't even take them to a vet. Do you even have a mentor to show you how to handfeed? Do you have a brooder, formula and a vet at hand if something happens?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Breeding Birds is a very serious and I don't think that you should do it, just because you want to. Do you realize what you will do if the parents are not very good at feeding or even taking care of the babies? Or if anything goes wrong? What happens if they abandon a baby and you have to handfeed it? You say you can't even take them to a vet. Do you even have a mentor to show you how to handfeed? Do you have a brooder, formula and a vet at hand if something happens?
OP said her dad's friends with experience will help her.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I think it would be best you wait until the pandemic is over so you could have access to a vet for check-ups and in case anything goes wrong with your female cockatiel or the babies you hope to breed one day.

Last edited:

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
i cannot take them to the vet because covid in my area has made everything on lockdown, for now , i ended up getting a female and a male. i am getting them an appointment for the vets soon. i will be taking all birds regularly ( as my mom said ) again i am still young and havent cared for anything but myself so all of this is still newer to me but i will understand more. that is why i found this site and i have done research on ALL BIRDS for the last 2 months.
I'm glad that they're going to be visiting the vet soon--I apologize for jumping to conclusions. We're very passionate about the well-being of birds here on the avenue :) For training or getting the cockatiels to trust you more, offer them treats if they are comfortable with that. You may need to bribe them with millet, which you could consider a high-value treat for them.
Target training is useful for frightful birds that are afraid of close contact and human interaction. Most beginners can learn easily, and cockatiels are incredibly intelligent birds! My cockatiel learned within his first week, but it may take you months before your birds are receptive to this form of training. Don't become discouraged! I've also read that cockatiels love preening toys, so you may want to invest in several of those.

Birds are generally easier to tame when separated, so you may want to consider that if there are a lot of difficulties or if the birds don't get along with one another.

Good luck with the birdies! :D

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
@alyssanor I do not want to be rude, but I want to share my experience with you. This is something I have never mentioned on AA before.

About four or so years ago I had four budgies, knowing nothing I know now I set them up in breeding cages. I was so excited when the first egg appeared and when the first baby hatched, only that first baby made it the fledging, then Blue passed away when he was only a few weeks old. Despite this I continued breeding, yes there was some healthy babies, Snowflake is one of them, but so many babies died because I wanted to breed when I didn't have the knowledge. When Sapphire died due to something breeding related I stopped, I am so upset that I was the one that killed her.
Are you sure you're willing to risk your birds' lives just because you want babies? Just look at my sig most of those birds died due to me breeding and they're only some of them.

As for taming them give them time to settle in, once they're comfortable go from there. While you wait for that read through Cockatiel corner and training court.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for sharing that, AussieBird. I think it will help & it was very brave of you to post it.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you choose to breed your birds without properly researching and having an experienced person to guide you, the live of your birds and hypothetical babies could be at risk.

Breeding birds requires tons of knowledge. Baby birds are very fragile and there's about a million things that can go wrong. An ethical breeder very rarely makes any profit, as most of the money from selling will go right back into caring for birds.

It is an extremely poor idea to jump into without doing extensive research first.