• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will green cheek mate with their parents?

cindypanny

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
Hi guys! I'm a newbie at breeding (didn't know my gcc laid eggs), my question is, when my baby green cheek conure (about 1 week old) grows up to a fully adult, will it try to mate with its parent?? because I have a pineapple green cheek and a normal turquoise green cheek and they live together in a big cage and their own nest box that they both sleep in and incubate the eggs, I'm just scared when the baby grows up will try to mate with its parent.

I also want to hand feed the baby so it can bond with humans but do I feed it then put it back in the nest or keep hand feeding it until it can eat seeds and veggies, etc??? if it starts eating seeds and can balance/walk and when I put it back in the cage with its parents, would the baby recognise its parents and would the parents recognise the baby?? do I let the parents visit the baby when I hand feed it??

Sorry guys these questions are so dumb, I'm a newbie at breeding and thought my 2 gcc were both females and wouldn't breed... thanks!:cheer:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If they like each other then yes. When the baby is fully feathered and weaned, you can house them in a separate cage alongside their parents. you can allow shared out of cage time together, but watch for mating. If that happens, remove any eggs laid.

I also want to hand feed the baby so it can bond with humans
Not neccessary. As you will be checking in on the little ones daily, lifting them out of the box to change the soiled bedding, they will be used to your presence. Once they are feathered, you can take them out for a few minutes and interact with them a couple of times a day.
I do not recommend hand feeding for a novice if it is not needed. Should the parents abandon the chicks, prepare the formula as per package instructions and feed it on a small metal teaspoon.

Is there only one chick? When did it hatch? How many eggs do you have?

cindypanny

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
hii! I don't know how to reply correctly since I just joined today,

My conure laid 5 eggs, 1 hatched and is 1 week old, 1 went missing, 1 dead in shell, 2 still incubating

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1 went missing,
If it´s not found under the bedding, then it´s likely they ate it.

If those two they are incubating don´t hatch, leave them in the nest anyway until the chick you have is able to sit up on their own. Unhatched eggs offer support. If they hatch, then even better.

Do you have formula ready? Thermometer, critter carrier, plenty of bedding (aspen or coarse pine) - best to have it all ready just in case, even if you don´t end up using it.

I don't know how to reply correctly
You did good.

Welcome to the Avenue :)

cindypanny

Moving in
Real Name
Cindy
Yep! I have everything ready, thank you so much for your help, this community is so welcoming! :laugh-bounce:

Thank you again :laugh:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Another thing is to weigh the little one every morning and keep a little diary of his weight gain. And again, by picking him up to weigh him, he´ll get used to you handling him. Put a little bowl lined with kitchen roll or bedding on the scales and Tare/Zero, then pop the little one in.

If you need help or have questions, post them, no matter how ¨dumb¨ you might think they are, it´s best to ask than to stay silent and unsure.
There are a good few active members who are breeders here and they have a lot of experience :)