• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will Getting Another Budgie Effect My Current ones Behaviour?

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Hi, I am considering getting my budgie a friend, but an concerned that she may not want to hang out with me much anymore. Anyone have input? I got her beginning of February this year, and she was very shy and skittish when she came, and we’ve pretty much just gotten to the point of her wanting to come out of her cage (mainly for millet but still!) she’ll also step up on my finger and is ok with me walking around. She really likes coming out when I’m dancing lol.
Anyway, how much do y’all think a buddy will effect her behaviour?
TIA!:thanks:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I haven’t had budgies in quite a few years, but from what I’ve heard budgies always do best with a budgie friend. They’re very social birds!

So any difference in your relationship may not be as noticeable compared to the many positives the second budgie brings!

I really can’t offer much in budgie experience so I’ll tag @Ripshod and @Destiny who have lovely budgie flocks.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
And I'll tag @Lori D Pert, she has recent experience of this.
There's no definitive answer to this. Behaviour may change, it may not. But whatever happens budgies tend to not forget their first friend, and you may end up with two friends.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
This really depends on how bonded she is to you. I'm assuming she is quite young? Sam was over 1 year when we got Scout and was totally bonded to us. This has NOT changed. She may not be as demanding of our time now that she has Scout but our bond has not changed in the least. She's still the feisty, outgoing, bossy little hen that she's always been..lol. I would spend a bit more time socializing with your little one and then once she is calm and accepting of you and is flying out of the cage regularly, then consider a friend. It is my experience that the more bonded a budgie is to you the more they will assist in calming a new bird to your presence. Overall though getting a second bird is always met with appreciation.

BananaBird

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
This really depends on how bonded she is to you. I'm assuming she is quite young? Sam was over 1 year when we got Scout and was totally bonded to us. This has NOT changed. She may not be as demanding of our time now that she has Scout but our bond has not changed in the least. She's still the feisty, outgoing, bossy little hen that she's always been..lol. I would spend a bit more time socializing with your little one and then once she is calm and accepting of you and is flying out of the cage regularly, then consider a friend. It is my experience that the more bonded a budgie is to you the more they will assist in calming a new bird to your presence. Overall though getting a second bird is always met with appreciation.
Thank you! I will wait a while before getting another budgie because I don’t think our bond is very strong yet