• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will beak grow back?

nytowl69

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jeanne
I have a two month old green cheek conure i bought from a pet store! He does not have a top beak due to parents biting it off! I’m wondering I was told it would grow back but someone it might not? What do you think and is there anything I can do?

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Could you provide pictures so we can see what you mean.

BirdWorld

Can he shell seeds with his beak? Or is it actually missing?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are a few with serious beak injuries where the beak never grows back.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
How much of your bird's beak is left? A vet check would be a good place to start.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think a vet check with an avian vet is necessary. Some damaged beaks can recover, but if the damage is too severe then the beak won't grow back.

If this is likely to be permanent, then you will have to think very carefully about food and cage set-up. He won't be able to hull seeds or break pellets into smaller bites, so you may need to prepare soft foods, birdie bread or mash. Parrots use their beaks to climb so you'll have to set the cage up carefully to make sure that he can move around safely.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Based on the image, I would say that his beak is never likely to grow back. That said, if there is absolutely *no* growth, he might be a candidate for a prosthetic beak! These can be rather expensive and may fall off after 4-6 months. (I've looked into this myself for my own mitred conure - two vets both said don't do it - he's only missing half of his lower beak though! )

Keep in mind though, he is likely to require beak trims for the rest of his life.

He's a cutie! I know @webchirp has a special cheekie too! :heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh goodness he’s adorable. I was going to adopt a similar beak type guy but he passed before I could. Oh did talk to Dr. Orosz and you will likely need to keep him up to date on vetting. She said they can have problems. I doubt his beak will ever grow back. He will need the bottom trimmed regularly too. Get a scale and keep an eye on his weight.
Maui still has her top beak but it sits inside so I have to trim her bottom beak every two weeks.

Beaky babies are my favorite next to elderly. Too adorable!