• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will an alexandrine and a ringneck get along?

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
Hi guys I am new so I hope I have posted this in the right thread lol so I have an alexandrine parrot, and I also have a green Indian ringneck parrot that I have newly purchased. Do you think I would be a bad idea to put the two together? The alexandrine is a female and the ringneck I am unsure on because he is so young. Would they get aggressive? Or would they get along? Thanks guys for any answers or feedback ☺

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There is never any guarantee that any two birds will get along regardless of species so it is always safest and fairest for all birds to be housed in their own personal cage unless they are bonded to another same species bird.
I am sure you will find people out there who do house them together. I would never house nor recommend to house two birds together unless they were fully bonded to each other- it is just not worth the risk.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It's usually best to keep different species apart. Even when kept apart, they can become aggressive with each other, so always make sure you can spend individual time with each bird in case they can't be out together.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Alexandrine s are more timid so there is high chance that she'll be bullied by the ringneck. I have seen this at my neighbors place (though it's not legal, still people keep them as pets). If the ringneck is female, there is more chance of aggression. Also, the beak size is bigger in Alexandrine, so it can accidentally cause harm to the young ringneck.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bdw, both are so pretty... Give them love from me :heart: :heart:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
There is never any guarantee that any two birds will get along regardless of species so it is always safest and fairest for all birds to be housed in their own personal cage unless they are bonded to another same species bird.
I am sure you will find people out there who do house them together. I would never house nor recommend to house two birds together unless they were fully bonded to each other- it is just not worth the risk.
Ok thanks I would just love it if they could get along and keep each other company when I am not around

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
It's usually best to keep different species apart. Even when kept apart, they can become aggressive with each other, so always make sure you can spend individual time with each bird in case they can't be out together.
Ok thanks

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ok thanks I would just love it if they could get along and keep each other company when I am not around
They do not have to be in the same cage to keep each other company, in the same room and able to hear and see one another is keeping each other company in a safe way then when you are home you can have them out together if they get along well enough.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I wouldn't house these species together unless it was a large aviary, as in large enough that they can express all of their flight behaviours.

In any cage I would absolutely keep them seperate. Also please note that these two can cross breed and have hybrid offspring. I would not encourage mating or bonding if it can be avoided.

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
They do not have to be in the same cage to keep each other company, in the same room and able to hear and see one another is keeping each other company in a safe way then when you are home you can have them out together if they get along well enough.
I hadn't actually thought about that! Thanks for the idea!

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
I wouldn't house these species together unless it was a large aviary, as in large enough that they can express all of their flight behaviours.

In any cage I would absolutely keep them seperate. Also please note that these two can cross breed and have hybrid offspring. I would not encourage mating or bonding if it can be avoided.
Polly (my Alexandrine) I currently living in a large walk in aviary, it has lots of space for her to fly, but recently even thought I have her out of her cage and she still has lots of room to fly in her cage she has been acting very bored. I decided to purchase Ollie the Indian ringneck. My plan was to keep them in seperate cages. But both of them seem to be getting along pretty well. But there is no way I would be considering cross breeding as I have never bred birds in my life. I just feel slightly guilty listening to them calling out to each other (which was a slight surprise to me, because they don’t spent much time together at all). Ollie I am not sure on the gender, but he is living in a flight cage, nowhere as big as Polly’s aviary. If I new that Ollie was a girl I might be slightly less reluctant to let them spend time together, but I don’t even know that for certain and I have also heard that two females could cause more aggression than a male and female together.
Apologies if this doesn’t make sense lol

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Polly (my Alexandrine) I currently living in a large walk in aviary, it has lots of space for her to fly, but recently even thought I have her out of her cage and she still has lots of room to fly in her cage she has been acting very bored. I decided to purchase Ollie the Indian ringneck. My plan was to keep them in seperate cages. But both of them seem to be getting along pretty well. But there is no way I would be considering cross breeding as I have never bred birds in my life. I just feel slightly guilty listening to them calling out to each other (which was a slight surprise to me, because they don’t spent much time together at all). Ollie I am not sure on the gender, but he is living in a flight cage, nowhere as big as Polly’s aviary. If I new that Ollie was a girl I might be slightly less reluctant to let them spend time together, but I don’t even know that for certain and I have also heard that two females could cause more aggression than a male and female together.
Apologies if this doesn’t make sense lol
That clarification helps. In a large walk-in aviary they will likely be fine together. Asiatic species are gregarious and share a lot of the same body language, so generally understand each other. Ensure that your have 3 feeding areas and 3 watering areas that are spaced apart. This way no one bird can control the resources. Also add a lot of variation in perches, some with more hidden away spots so they can naturally seperate and have their own time. They will likely be safer together in a wide flight area than in cages. Cages are the main place where toes get bitten (sometimes badly!). If they have room to fly they will get away and avoid conflict when possible.

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
Thank you this helps so much! I will defiantly
That clarification helps. In a large walk-in aviary they will likely be fine together. Asiatic species are gregarious and share a lot of the same body language, so generally understand each other. Ensure that your have 3 feeding areas and 3 watering areas that are spaced apart. This way no one bird can control the resources. Also add a lot of variation in perches, some with more hidden away spots so they can naturally seperate and have their own time. They will likely be safer together in a wide flight area than in cages. Cages are the main place where toes get bitten (sometimes badly!). If they have room to fly they will get away and avoid conflict when possible.
thank you this helps so much! I will defiantly be putting multiple food bowls in there because I now just from my experiences with Polly that she can be possessive over her food, she doesn’t like me to touch her when she is eating.