• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will a new budgie bond to the other two?

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
At the moment i have a cockatiel and two budgies. I have been wanting a new pet and i was thinking another budgie. If i got a third and housed it by itself would it still bond to the other to or will it bond to me? If i do get another bird i would like it to be bonded with me rather then the other two. Thanks!

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Budgies definitely prefer the company of other budgies, but there are ways to try and get them to bond to you.

You would need to house the new one separately from the other two. For maybe the first several months I'd even keep them in a different room (even after a quarantine). Budgies will almost always flock together.

You could try getting a hand raised budgie - they will be more people friendly and will be easier to bond with. But, if that isn't possible, it is still pretty easy to tame a 'wild' budgie. It takes a bit of time and lots of patience and care, but it is possible.

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
It's been many, many years since I've had Budgies (18 years actually), so my experience here may not be as valid as those who currently own them, but based on what I remember, my budgies, though already bonded to each other (they were flock mates at the pet store we got them from), also bonded with my parents and me, which leads me to believe they were both hand-raised. That being said, it may be best to keep your new addition (should you choose to get one) away from the other two if you don't want them to bond with each other.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
If you keep the new one separate it will. Hand reared, or tame budgies will also bond better.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the two existing budgies are a "pair" then they aren't going to need or want to bond with the third wheel outsider. Many budgies is a different story. Then they are a real flock. Two budgies is not a flock. It is a pair. They may get along with the new bird but it will always be the loner.