• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild quaker.

MPhoenix

Moving in
The breeder I went to this week, told me he had no hand taimed quakers left until next breeding season, but that I could have one of the adults ones he has. Since I already payed him, this is my only option. While this birds are not technically wild, they do live like they were.

And now, I'm really concerned on how can I tame this bird, since I know it's going to be a much more harder thing that with my tiel. If anyone has any advice to offer, that would be great.

For the record, this parrots are still captive ones, they just live in a giant aviary and do not have much contact with humans.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Number one get the biggest double flight cage that you can afford number two other than to feed him or change his papers only approach the cage as far is he is comfortable with eyes lowered and stooping if needed talk softly to him if he is upset back up even to the doorway Number three read to him talking softly number four find out what food he takes first and eats the most of first take that seat out after you can get close to his cage without him being upset then drop that seed into his bowl every time you come by till he gets used to you this will take some time and there’s more after this that needs to be Done

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
PS as he is used to the sounds of birds play a DVD with sounds of birds like winged migration were there others with Parrot noises

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
It’s great if you want to help out this untamed adult bird and am prepared for the challenge ahead.

If the breeder pressured you into taking it and you’d feel better with a tamed baby, wait until he has babies.

Good luck.