• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Wild pigeon with injured wing

Gora

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello forum!

I picked up a pigeon that clearly had an injured wing about 5 days ago, it was hanging down.
I took him to the vet on the wildlife rescues reccomendation, with them saying they will get a call to pick him up if he's strong enough and a native.

Took him to the vet for an xray and good news, no broken bones, but he is not a native species to Australia, so it was either I take him back or he was going to be euthanased right then at the vets. He will not be accepted into any rescue organisations, so now he is mine to care for... Luckily he's fairly friendly.

I don't know much about pigeons but I have been trying, I let him walk around in my enclosed backyard today, day 5, to see if he would be able to take flight or at least combat muscle wastage, but no luck, his wing still very much hangs and he cannot fly.
He has a smallish cage (enough to stretch his wings and jump around but not much more, as I'm a budgie owner usually and I don't want him injuring himself more)

So really I'm asking.
Am I doing the right thing by taking him?
Should I tape his wing to help with healing?
Is there something else I should do or you bird people could suggest to me?

Tvdv96

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tessa
Thank you so much for taking this bird in and caring for him! @Birdbabe can probably give you great advice :)

Gora

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you so much for taking this bird in and caring for him! @Birdbabe can probably give you great advice :)
I just couldn't let a bird that seemed like he was going to recover just die like that but now I'm wondering if he is ever going to get to fly free again.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why wouldn't the vet tape his wing? Anyways, you can do it yourself, but, must be taped for four to six weeks, look up how to tape an injured wing.. but, do remember, he will need an extra 4 weeks or so use that wing after it heals,,, by then, he may realize how good he has it, and may not want to leave..gota couple of those myself.