• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild parakeets in Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
I belong to Miami's Audubon Society and noticed that a member posted a site where over 100 wild parakeets gather (aratinga). You can go to tropicalaudubon.org and click on the birdboard to view. I also have a small flock that come in my neighborhood. Just to let you know the Audubon society has an exotic (parrots) fied trip always the first Sat in Dec. in Miami. This year we spotted 30 + types of parrots, from parakeets, conures, amazons, to blue and gold macaws. If any one plans a trip to Miami and wants to see wild parrots, contact me. Thanks.

ronsig

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I love the wild parrots in Florida.
Thanks for posting the website, I have to look at that.
This picture was taken in the Tampa Bay area.:)

Sigrid

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Way cool. It saddens me that I have been to Miami... twice, and have never seen wild parrots. I guess Ill just have to come again, oh darn :D. Thanks for sharing with us!

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
The Audubon Society has photography field trips this month which you'd probably love click on their site for more info Tropical Audubon Society . I'll guarantee blue and gold macaw sightings as 4 to 6 come everyday to my backyard feeder.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Sigrid -I'm trying to get your incredible picture to Bill Pranty,ornithologist and birding book author, can't figure out how. Will try private messages to you. Thanks

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Bill Pranty wrote a paper about these black hooded parakeets (nanday) 5 years ago which he forwarded to me . Unbelievable, but over 850 have been counted in the Audubon's bird count.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
beautiful pic Sigrid

I agree Houston - :wow: at those numbers! :)

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
The birdfeeder was visited by monk parakeets and nandays. But the nandays chased the monks away most of the time.

Downtown St. Petersburg, I found another bird feeder with monks and pigeons..:p
It was next to traffic as you can see, but they weren't afraid. The feeder was under a trees, light wasn't good.

Here, one of my favourite pictures of nandays, in Safety Harbour, Florida.
Sigrid

Status
Not open for further replies.