• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Olive Branches and leaves

AnnRichie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ann
Hi Everyone... I own an African Grey {Grace} , 2 budgies {Tweetels and Evie} and a cockatiel {Olive}. I want to trim Grace's wings and give him a nice big Wild Olive tree branch in a large pot so she can perch outside. Any advice with regard to Wild Olive branches on if it's safe etc.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Grace, Tweetels, Evie, and Olive. :)

As to trimming Grace's wings...is there any way that she would agree to wear a harness? That way you wouldn't have to clip her wings...;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Trimming any birds flight feathers in my world is a sin. There are so many reasons not to.

If you want to take your bird outside there is still a possibility your bird will get injured or fly into the bushes or nearby trees if spooked by noises, other birds prey animals - the list goes on and on. I know you don't want this to happen so you can harness train the bird or build an aviary outdoors.

Here is a good read for you: Part 2 - Parrots & Flight | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Ann.

From looking at your profile picture I would assume you already cut Graces wings.

Please, spare 2 minutes of you time and read this: Part 2 - Parrots & Flight | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

There are alternatives to handicapping your bird. Like @cassiesdad said, a harness could be your answer, clip the cord to the tree.

Edit:

¨NO REPORTS of poisoning from olive trees, but it doesn't guarantee that they are safe.
There have been NO STUDIES to test and see if olive trees are toxic to birds.
In general olive trees are not poisonous under natural circumstances. You would have to consume an awful lot of an olive tree to get sick from it. Unfortunately, an aviary is not a natural situation and captive, bored birds might eat too much of an olive tree.¨

I hope that helps.
Source: Can I put an olive tree next to my conures to play on? or will they get sick from eating the leaves Please use my email

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!