• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild macaws on my window!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How did you stop playing with these baby beaks long enough to take a picture?! :huh::hilarious:
OMG they were so wild and naughty Lisa... There were times I didn't think I would live through it. :rofl: I had all my older mature macaws for years and thought they were so easy.... I can't even remember the age but I clearly remember sitting on the floor with them hanging all over me thinking... Why would people recommend this? :facepalm: They are at pretty good ages right now, half mature but less baby drama.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
OMG they were so wild and naughty Lisa... There were times I didn't think I would live through it. :rofl: I had all my older mature macaws for years and thought they were so easy.... I can't even remember the age but I clearly remember sitting on the floor with them hanging all over me thinking... Why would people recommend this? :facepalm: They are at pretty good ages right now, half mature but less baby drama.
Yeah it’s like dealing with little kids all over again lol!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
What a delightful treat to have them perch on your balcony! Here.... have a whole basket of fruit! Gorgeous view too!!!!!
At first we heard a knock on the window and we didn’t knew they begun screaming loudly we think someone nearby was feeding them and they got used to have easy food and that someone have now stopped feeding them and now they felt the “urge” to eat and feed their chick so they knocked the glass and begun screaming we were just like wow! There were 6 more on nearby palm trees where they nest and roost for the night. Even my neighbor when she gave them the 1st piece she got a little scared cause the baby wanted to jump on her to take the banana from her hand but one of the adults jumped down took the banana gently and then gave it to the baby. And after that the baby was ok with taking the banana from our hands and my neighbors hand.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where you live looks lovely, like a rainforest. What a treat to see these birds up close and personal. Do they seem afraid of humans?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Where you live looks lovely, like a rainforest. What a treat to see these birds up close and personal. Do they seem afraid of humans?
Nope cause everyone in other buildings feed them all the time lol that’s why they knocked on the window like heyyy we are here food we want fooood! Ahhhh food! But they never got so close to our balcony like today! Their roost time is 6 pm you can hear them flying around and fighting for the best spots at that time.

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Nope cause everyone in other buildings feed them all the time lol that’s why they knocked on the window like heyyy we are here food we want fooood! Ahhhh food! But they never got so close to our balcony like today! Their roost time is 6 pm you can hear them flying around and fighting for the best spots at that time.
Funny that the ARs then say they will be happy and free without depending on humans lol there are many flower & fruits trees that they can feed on. But they prefer to be near humans be fed by humans lol. It was cute to see the baby flying off to the nest tree to roost for the night. Lol he swinged it’s tail left and right XD. I guess 1st flight is not easy lol. Landing was very awkward lol.

Last edited:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WOW!! Amazing. Thanks for taking the photos & posting them. It's something many would never ever see. I'd be out there feeding them all the time, LOL. I saw Mom, Dad & then I saw the baby. So cute. Looks just like my new B&G Macaw JaKhu (she will be 8 months in 5 days). Her eyes have just lightened up. Yep baby beak.

I took a good look at the adult's beaks . My old vet, now retired, insisted JaJaBinks (passed in August) beak was too long & said it needed trimmed. I told him it wasn't & wouldn't let him trim it. Her beak looked just like these macaws beaks.

I have a Purple Martin colony every year. I do a lot of hands on, nest checks daily, handle the chicks, etc. I've even had the privilege of holding adults. I feed them by flipping crickets in the air. If they can't find food, because the weather is bad, etc., they sit on the power lines & look in my windows, all lined up, waiting for me to go out & feed them.

Birds will get close to humans for food, especially if it's scarce in their area. It's a lot of hard work searching for food.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic photos! Interacting with wild parrots like this is such a priveledge, I´m so glad you were able to experience it :) :bliss:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Wow! Just amazing!

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Wow beautiful! We only get sparrows, cardinals etc here. We do have the blue jays though lol.