• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild macaw mating behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
My hybrid, Buddy, has always been peculiar which I attributed to being locked in a cage for 10 years because her owner was afraid to handle her. In the ten years she's been my pet, She has never made any attempt to get along with my four other large macaws. Occasionally, she even picks fights but the other macaws generally ignore her behavior. She even got into an altercation with Fuzzy the wild macaw and the wild macaws won't come down if she is within striking range so I usually put her on her own swing when the wild ones are around. This morning she showed interest in a single macaw that was up in the palm tree nearby. She got closer on the patio set chair ,did some vocalization , lowered her wings and wiggled her tail feathers. Is this the macaw equivalent of a singles bar? The other macaw must be part of the UM flock because he was alone and didn't access the feeder stocked with walnuts. Eventually he flew off as I think he was very wild, fearful and probably was confused about Buddy's lack of flying . She has full flight wings but is the only one of my macaws that have not tried flying.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
How interesting Daria. I always love your stories. Must be something really special about that guy lol. Maybe he was playing hard to get :p.

What a great thing to watch all that beauty on a regular basis!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Parrots are really funny. They seem to be attracted to very specific birds. There is a DYHA at the rescue that has been very interested in all of the LSC2s (who did not return the affection) and hated all the larger U2s and M2s but recently has become friends with a M2. What is so different about him compared to the other large 'toos? Birds are just funny that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.