• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild ladies

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
I wanted to get the budgie community to weigh in on my situation.

I bought two budgie girls within a couple of weeks of each other. At that time I thought I was going to lose work cos of the pandemic. I didn't.

I really thought I had the time to get to know them. unfortunately they are mostly wild and I am mostly tired.

They have a cage that is two and a half foot wide. 1.5 foot deep. 3.5 feet high.

I just wanted to know if you think I am being selfish when I work for ten hours and am wrecked to think of tempting my ladies with millet.

I love my birds. Do you think they are happy to fly about together for hours every day or am I understandable?

I know I will need to manhandle them in the future because they need health checks and nail trims.

Thanks

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I see no harm in offering millet & seeing where this leads. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think budgies are often happy just being budgies. If they have a good size cage, toys, good food and a friend, they are usually just fine. It would be good for them to have out of cage time but I know of a lot of budgies who aren't "tame" per se. And there's nothing wrong with using millet to work with them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They’ll be more than perfectly happy with each other’s company, if you’re supplying a clean decent size cage and good diet I don’t think you have anything to stress about.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Thanks! Their cage is roughly 2.5 wide, 1.5 deep and 3.5 high in feet. They can flit and fly a bit in there. I let them out to fly around the apartment all the time. Probably about 3 hrs a day when I have work and 8 hrs when I don't.

They are good girls and go back in their home to sleep on their swings. Sometimes I have to dim the lights to give them the hint. Mostly though I find them gently swaying and cracking their beaks whilst they wait for me to cover them up.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Your birds have each other which makes them happy. If you worked long hours and only had one bird it might feel more lonely, in which case it would cling to you for companionship.
I have 4 budgies. Two readily step up for millet and occasionally step up without it being offered. These two also allow me to scritch their heads or rub their beaks or toes.
The other two only follow the flock. They only light on my hand after the first two are already there.

I offer millet on a flat hand with the sprig pinned between my fingers. Sometimes they are interested. Sometimes not.

You are a good bird parent... spacious cage.. out of cage time... bird friends to bond together and offer each other companionship.
They sound like happy birds!

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
I very much hope so, I love the daft little girls. I even love them when they swoop about cackling like little witches

Funny creatures, their antics distract me and I feel so in awe that I can take on the responsibility of caring for native birds.

I have 3 Australian birds and I think they will never know how much I care for them and how grateful I am to be able to tend to them.

It truly takes my breath away at times.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Seems to me they have everything they need to be content. If you have given them companionship (with each other), good foraging toys, a good diet, free flight and they seem to be fine with the attention you show them then they are lucky little ladies.