• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild hybrid cockatoo?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
That too is stunning! As long as the offspring is healthy Im not against animals choosing to produce hybrids but Im not a fan of when people force two species to mate in an effort to create better looking or different offspring.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Galahs seem to be notoriously perimiscuious! I've also seen pictures wild goffin-galah crosses. Although they were always somewhat excluded and toward the edges of the flock. My guess is that even if the hybrids are fertile, they don't have what it takes to attract a mate in most cases.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most likely they cannot reproducer

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I honestly don't know that you can force most animals to breed together, unless through artificial insemination. Granted, many of the hybrids that have occurred would not have happened if we didn't keep such diverse flocks, if people understood species (peachface lovebirds and black masked lovebirds are not different colors of lovebirds, they are separate species of lovebirds! No, a black cap/maroon bellied conure is not a type of green cheek conure) and could tell them apart.

*MANY* hybrids are fertile, including large conure x mini macaw hybrids (sun/jenday/hahns hybrids), so it would seem odd to me that different species of cockatoos would result in sterile offspring. I'm sure something such as sulphur crested cockatoo x citron hybrids would be fertile. I imagine the umbrella x muloccan hybrids are also fertile... not sure about galah or major mitchel hybrids.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
they are separate species of lovebirds! .

I just want to piggy back on this comment, because I completely agree.

We need to help inform people that these aren't "breeds" of birds. They are distinct species. I see a lot of well meaning people asking about bird breeds. "Which breed should I get?" When it comes to keeping birds they are species not breeds that we are referring to. I think it is important to be pedantic about this, because accepting the birds' differences helps everyone, human and bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I actually had someone get "prissy" with me for pointing out that it's species, not breed! :roflmao: Like, what does it matter if they say breed instead of species? I, too, would rather someone gain more knowledge than be left in the dark! Besides, breed means man made, species means nature made! ;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So asked on a FB group if anyone knew of any multi-gen hybrids.

One response included a multi-gen sulphur crested x bare eyed hybrid. Bateman's Bay Bird Park had a chick(s) that was 3/4 bare eyed and 1/4 sulphur, which indicates that some may indeed be fertile!