• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Hawkhead

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That is the brazilian dark head species, Penny is the white head.

The Hawk-headed Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus accipitrinus) is a beautiful bird. The male and female have a white fore crown and a brown throat with white streaks. The base of their neck is red edged with blue. The hawk-heads breast and belly are red and edged with blue. Their back, wings and tail are green. The underside of their tale is black. Some of the adults have a red spot under the base of their tail, and it is not related to gender. The juveniles have brown eyes and a lighter color beak. The adults have yellow eyes, a gray-black beak and gray legs. When full grown, the hawk-head can weigh 300 g (10.5 oz.). The hawk-head is 35 cm (14 inches) in length. The other subspecies is the Deroptyus a. fuscifrons also known as the Brazilian Hawk-headed parrot. The Brazilian form has a dark forehead and crown.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny has a stable personality but has been well loved for her 20 plus years.
Generally I have read mature HH don't make great pets as they can be aggressive & unpredictable.

Pennys brother Hawkeye is a beloved pet but can go thru challenging hormones at times.

I see alot with light eyes. Pennies eyes are brown. Also the eye rings change color with the sun & some are just darker than others. The brazilian HH has a brown crown not white.

I have red a few have a red spot under the tail which Penny does not.

Just not alot of pet HH around so data/info is limited & like all birds personality is effected by more than just genetics. Hawkeye Penny.jpg

Hawkeye male left Penny female right brother & sister from same clutch. They look alike.

Penny

P1190841 (4).JPG

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
This is Claude. A well traveled & well loved HH. Goes on planes & to all sorts of car shows.
Even Arnold Schwarzenegger had held him.

Love his laugh & Penny's

Read the comments about vicious when adult.

Quite a trip to look at. This one was supposed to be 16 years old

SCARY

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The infamous Claude whom Penny I think has a crush on.

with Jay Leno

Claude goes everywhere with his owner & is very tame

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Revisiting Pennys first threads.

Found this vid taken about a week after getting her which was 4/29/18 gottcha day which is also around her birthday which I can't exactly recall at the moment but was in April or May 97 or 98. I know its in one of the old threads & I wrote it don somewhere. Time seems to elude me this year.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Correction Pennys stats gotten from great detective work.
Date I got Penny April 29, 2018

Doh April 6, 1997 9 grams
Parents Huff & Fluff
Breeder Bob & Carol Rose

Calendar of another sibling after Penny

Calendae Penny Brother Bob Carol RoseP1040313 red.jpg

Hawkeye her older brother hatched in MArch 1997. Both were sold at the same pet shop in CA.

Penny from a 2 yr old facebook Frans Exotics ad in a petshop where her 2nd owner got her. I recognised Penny. That led me to id her & trace her back with help of petshop who still had Pennys owners name from 2 years prior & contacted her to give her my number. Doris the original owner contacted me & we exchanged all her original DNA papers. See she has her cage & green bowls from the original owner. Also see the unusual black band. Kismet!

Frans exotics Penny 12118699_1033286920026897_5236798372435360880_n.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny prefers to bath by submerging her head & shoulder in her water bowl accompanied by loud hawking screeches.
She gets quite drenched & water flies all over. I tried a large tray of water on the bottom of the cage but she prefers her bowl.

She looks like a mess
bath june 27 18 P1040004.jpg