• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Harvest + Buying Seeds Online?

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
Hello, recently i have run out of my usual seed mix for my tiel, and given the store i get his seeds from is two hours away, i had no choice but to go to walmart and pick up some food. I picked up a wild harvest tiel mix, but after doing some digging i see that people don’t like this brand? So, is it ok if i feed him this until i can get my hands on his other food, or should i buy some seeds online? And if i should buy some seeds what are some good recommendations? Thanks

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
From what I can see online, Wild Harvest is kind of a funny mix with a lot of sunflower seeds, fatty fillers like peanuts and unnecessary colorings. Usually sunflower seeds in seed mixes are a bad idea because they're so fatty (and birdos LOVE to eat just the sunflower seeds - as you probably already know!)
I'd imagine it's safe to give to your bird temporarily if looks fresh enough, but I'd swap it for something more nutritious whenever you're able. I'd order online.
I've used TOP's Napoleon seed mix alongside Harrison's pellets, and buy a sprouting mix to supplement with sprouted seeds. I've also seen some folks here use Volkman's but I can't comment on that, as I've never fed it myself. There are also some fantastic vendors on this site which sell seeds - so I'd recommend checking out the Marketplace in the forum.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran