• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Bird Seed Recommendations?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mazuri's Wild Bird seed offshoot is BOGO on Chewy right now. Lots of options with good ingredients - I only saw one with Milo in it! I just got 40 lbs of food for $27 shipped

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This squirrel keeps checking on the mess Ripley makes and I'm sure silently judging him :lol:

PXL_20211210_190204884.jpg

Still a popular pigeon hangout
PXL_20211208_172017514.jpg

PXL_20211208_171927112.jpg

LilyBelleB

Sitting on the front steps
We have feed wild birds for 30+ years and have found the best and most cost effective to be just plain black oil sunflower seeds. They attract a big variety of birds. A 20 lb bag of Pennington is $13 at Walmart. We quit buying them from our local Tractor Supply because we got several bags that were moldy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We have feed wild birds for 30+ years and have found the best and most cost effective to be just plain black oil sunflower seeds. They attract a big variety of birds. A 20 lb bag of Pennington is $13 at Walmart. We quit buying them from our local Tractor Supply because we got several bags that were moldy.
That's good to know! My only problem is all the shells!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg that squirrel checking out Ripley's scraps :heart: I do find them so terribly adorable.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Finally attracted a woodpecker! Cracked corn was his Achilles heel apparently :lol:

I've now got a feeder of cracked corn (super cheap but the squirrels, pigeons, jays, cardinals and woodpecker eat it), one of sunflower seeds and safflower seeds, and then a finch feeder with a mix of small seeds. Plus the suet. Has been a hot spot every morning and I love it!

And yes my hook needs adjusted haha. This was a temporary set up that I haven't fixed yet. My plan is to replace it with one with 4 to 6 hooks so I can add more because now I'm addicted.

PXL_20220212_134713658.MP.jpg

PXL_20220212_143726535.jpg

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finally attracted a woodpecker! Cracked corn was his Achilles heel apparently :lol:

I've now got a feeder of cracked corn (super cheap but the squirrels, pigeons, jays, cardinals and woodpecker eat it), one of sunflower seeds and safflower seeds, and then a finch feeder with a mix of small seeds. Plus the suet. Has been a hot spot every morning and I love it!

And yes my hook needs adjusted haha. This was a temporary set up that I haven't fixed yet. My plan is to replace it with one with 4 to 6 hooks so I can add more because now I'm addicted.

View attachment 402791

View attachment 402792
Hahah love the little feathered bullet behind the woodpecker!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is that picture from today Shawna? :wtf:
Please don't tell me you have snow down... I have to drive a good 8+ hours in your state tomorrow!
Yes that was this morning! Had a fresh half inch or so! Probably 2 to 4 inches the past couple days

What area are you driving through? If the UP there's snow until March or April haha. About an hour or so south of me you might be lucky to not have snow

Screenshot_20220212-164632.png

SteveearE

Moving in
Real Name
Steve Earsom
If you're a birder, you should definitely not ignore the instructions on how to make a bird's seed cake. Your bird will surely enjoy this snack. The recipe is very simple, all you need to do is prepare the Suet, a mixture of bird seeds, worm powder and raisins. Then mix them well in a bucket, melt the Suet and mix the other ingredients. Finally, put it in a mold and hang the cookies on a yogurt jar by wire on a bird feeder or any tree branch that birds might eat.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award