• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Bird Seed Recommendations?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My neighbor used to buy her mix at Wild Birds Unlimited ( Wild Birds Unlimited ). Unfortunately, my town passed an ordinance about a decade ago prohibiting people from feeding wild animals of all types including birds as it was supposedly attracting rodents.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My neighbor used to buy her mix at Wild Birds Unlimited ( Wild Birds Unlimited ). Unfortunately, my town passed an ordinance about a decade ago prohibiting people from feeding wild animals of all types including birds as it was supposedly attracting rodents.
Thanks for the link!

Crazy that they banned it! I know outside of town they tell people not to have bird feeders because they attract bears. Luckily I'm right in town :lol:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Thanks for the link!

Crazy that they banned it! I know outside of town they tell people not to have bird feeders because they attract bears. Luckily I'm right in town :lol:
That would be something, look outside to see a bear trying to get into your feeder. o_O:eek: I bet you would get some great pictures of it though. :roflmao::lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That would be something, look outside to see a bear trying to get into your feeder. o_O:eek: I bet you would get some great pictures of it though. :roflmao::lol:
It happens for sure! Trash cans too :lol:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Awww I would love to see a squirrel! The footage I see of them is so crazy adorable

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are kind of gluttons lol. So a lot of people don't like them in the feeders. I think if I'm giving out free food I can't be picky about who the takers are :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They are kind of gluttons lol. So a lot of people don't like them in the feeders. I think if I'm giving out free food I can't be picky about who the takers are :lol:
Feel free to dump some footage on me of your furry piggies when they visit.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do toss uneaten bowls of food from my birds out
I do this, too. I toss our guys' leftovers into an old planter so I don't have to worry so much about what ends up growing.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The pigeons here will only eat from flat surfaces such as table top or ground. They never ever access the hanging feeders or forage in smaller enclosed spaces like under the trees.

I’m not sure if all pigeons are like that or just the native ones that visit our yard.

@Screech @fashionfobie

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pigeons will foraging from a large open pan/tray or from the ground. They don't dig for food :) they can also eat whole grains/seeds as they have strong gizzards.

Hope that helps.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think you are underestimating the mess you are going to have on your deck! Joe's feeders are gross. They were in the center of the yard until we starting growing REALLY weird multi colored grasses in every place the feeders were. He moved them to a fence line flower garden and the birds smashed and crapped all over the flowers. It became no flowers and again multi colored grasses. We moved them yet again to the only spot left in the yard that we haven't finished cleanup on. ;)

I think when we tackle that last cleanup area next year Joe will be questioning where he wants these feeders. Yes he loves feeding the outside birds but .... he likes a very clean yard/lawn. I literally had to fence in my flowers as he was running them over with the lawn mower.

Your deck will be covered in bird crap and I don't know why but outside bird crap is way more gross than inside bird crap.... and I have macaws. :laugh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think you are probably right on me underestimating the mess lol. I was thinking of just the bird seed... Didn't think about the poop. Hmmm. Things to consider!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think you are probably right on me underestimating the mess lol. I was thinking of just the bird seed... Didn't think about the poop. Hmmm. Things to consider!
I like the humming bird feeders on the deck. I've found though that a few fushias do the same without the swarm of bees. :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I like the humming bird feeders on the deck. I've found though that a few fushias do the same without the swarm of bees. :D
Yes I had a fuschia hanging basket for Mother's Day and didn't kill it until after summer was over :lol: so I'll probably grab another one in the spring :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Joe found out how special fushias are to me and he bought me three of them for mothers day. I didn't have the heart to let the winter take them and put them in our sunroom. The sunroom is attached to the house but not heated. I figured they would hunker down and take the winter rest being so cold in there..... They are flowering... :rolleyes: I think I might have to put them in the basement which is heated but has no light. They need to rest for next year.