• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Bird Seed Recommendations?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love the set up! And that first squirrel pic is absolutely adorable! :heart:
I'm so happy with it :) It has a water bowl spot too but too cold to put it out. Nikolai was saying, "mom... Why do you have so many bird feeders??" :lol:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so happy with it :) It has a water bowl spot too but too cold to put it out. Nikolai was saying, "mom... Why do you have so many bird feeders??" :lol:
To see all the adorable critters of course!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yesterday, a crow noticed that I had peanuts and took one that had fallen from the balcony. Today it was very cold and I had a whole bunch in the tree across the road. So, I tossed some peanuts out to them. The photos are terrible because they were still skittish of me so I had to be sneaky, but they hung out almost all day in my driveway and trees... Probably because I tossed more food out when they kept cawing in the trees At one point I had around 25! My driveway is covered in crow footprints and it was so cool. I hope they come back!

GridArt_20220312_201444200~2.jpg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yesterday, a crow noticed that I had peanuts and took one that had fallen from the balcony. Today it was very cold and I had a whole bunch in the tree across the road. So, I tossed some peanuts out to them. The photos are terrible because they were still skittish of me so I had to be sneaky, but they hung out almost all day in my driveway and trees... Probably because I tossed more food out when they kept cawing in the trees At one point I had around 25! My driveway is covered in crow footprints and it was so cool. I hope they come back!

View attachment 404358
Ooh! That's awesome! I'm so jelly I love Crows :heart: . And so wonderful they were able to fill their tummies in the cold.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ooh! That's awesome! I'm so jelly I love Crows :heart: . And so wonderful they were able to fill their tummies in the cold.
Yes they are lucky I have so many other pets :lol: They got peanuts from the squirrels, some cracked corn and sunflower seeds from the pigeons, and Ripley had to share some nuts! And I had a small sample of a dog food someone gave me that I soaked and tossed out there for them.

Oh! And unrelated to the crows but I was filling up my finch feeder today. I brought it back outside and while I was still holding it, a goldfinch landed on it and started eating before realizing I was there :rofl: was so cool!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes they are lucky I have so many other pets :lol: They got peanuts from the squirrels, some cracked corn and sunflower seeds from the pigeons, and Ripley had to share some nuts! And I had a small sample of a dog food someone gave me that I soaked and tossed out there for them.

Oh! And unrelated to the crows but I was filling up my finch feeder today. I brought it back outside and while I was still holding it, a goldfinch landed on it and started eating before realizing I was there :rofl: was so cool!
Oooh! That's amazing what a once in a lifetime experience! :heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Is it crows that will bring you gifts if you befriend them? I’m imagining your front yard piled with gifts...and crows....

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it crows that will bring you gifts if you befriend them? I’m imagining your front yard piled with gifts...and crows....
I believe so! We will see. Right now they are just really loud when they run out of food, and I am sure my neighbors hate me LOL. They definitely are quick though; this all started Friday and they already started gathering as soon as I was filling the finch feeders.

The crow group on FB I joined said they love dog and cat food, so they got some of that, Ripley's leftover pellets from yesterday, some peanuts, sunflower seeds, and cracked corn. I counted 31 birds!

crisevan34

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
cris evan
Maybe cracked corn. Blue jays adopt an omnivorous diet, but a large part of their diet is plant-based. They particularly like to eat nuts, corn, and grains. They are also known to eat anything they find on the ground such as bread, peanuts, and other leftover food.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Also, if your birds have leftover food in their bowls, you can add it into the mix. I feed the flocks outside and all his scraps go the wild birds haha

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Super messy but sunflower seeds, cracked corn, and peanuts seem to be the biggest winners! I also put out any leftovers from Ripley, including veggies and fruit.