• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild bird possibly looking for a nest

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Hi! Its been a while since I have been on here but I have a question. I live in an apartment with a patio and I set bird feeders outside. I also leave out rabbit food pellets, carrots, nuts (for squirrels), and sometimes peanut butter for a special treat. Right around this time last year, only one bird didn't go for the bird feeders but instead kept flying around the top of the patio and sitting on my patio light. It would sit there for quite a while leave, and then come back. This happened several times each day. I didn't think much of this and I assumed it would be gone in a few weeks. It did leave. However, it's back again this year, the same bird for sure, and does the same things. I don't know what it wants. I am planning to get a fake nest at my wild birds' store and set it outside on the patio light it usually sits on. I want to know what others think first though so I don't do something on my own and mess everything up. Any suggestions?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you happen to know what kind of bird it is?

LovieLouie

Does it happen usually when the light is on?? By me we have a lot of wild quakers they make their nests on top of these big stadium lights for the Sports field/ park because they get warm.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Does it happen usually when the light is on?? By me we have a lot of wild quakers they make their nests on top of these big stadium lights for the Sports field/ park because they get warm.
Not really. The bird comes multiple times during the afternoon and evening so it’s not dark outside yet. My family almost never turns on the patio light, even at night.

LovieLouie

Uh no but it’s about the size of a common sparrow but it’s feathers are more red tinted. I can get a picture or a video today...
Ok definitely not a Quaker lol
Maybe it’s a purple house finch? Pretty neat that he keeps coming around and going to the same spot...

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Ok definitely not a Quaker lol
Maybe it’s a purple house finch? Pretty neat that he keeps coming around and going to the same spot...
Maybe. And yeah, it’s so cool that he remembers the exact spot and is back at the same time of the year!