• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

wild bird found on porch (possible broken leg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyRead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lacey
My boyfriend just called me and said he found a bird on his porch, said the leg looked like it gave out/limp, just laying there
he is asking me what to do but I dont know whar to tell him, he said he has it loosely wrapped in a towel and it is acting calm
It is 10:30 at night here
He has a small cage and we could bring it somewhere tomorrow (we have a wild bird sanctuary that might take it, and a nature centre
What should he do tonight, he does have an extra small cage
He does not know what kind of bird it is, but it is probably a starling or sparrow (we are in ontario, Canada)
Should he put it in the cage with water and food at ground level and keep the cage dark and covered for the night?

Thanks in advance

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I would say yes if he could just keep the bird in a box and try covering 3/4 of the top to keep him warm. A wildlife rehabber or sanctuary would be the best thing in the morning. They are trained on how to take care of the wild birds. At least he will keep this bird safe for the night from predators.

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Keep it warm for the night. Can you take it to the vet in the morning by chance. I found a wild baby bird outside and kept it as a pet. that was one of the best pets I could have ever had. I loved her so much.

Consider giving it a home.

LaceyRead

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Lacey
good news, the birdy was brought to a wild life centre today and they are going to give it treatment :)
Thanks everyone who posted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.