• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild bird exposure

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Our townhome is slowly being fixed after pipes burst and flooded us last week. Yesterday a team was out to remove wet drywall. They set up dehumidifiers and fans to try and dry the open stuff that got soaked. All good! Except, one section of ceiling is open to an empty sort of attic space, and that is apparently open to the outside.

Enter my little visitor. A starling got in at some point today, became trapped, and pooped all over my bedroom. We moved my budgie’s cage into this room just yesterday to make room for the workers :banghead:.
I don’t know how much contact they had but I’m assuming a fair bit since he’s near the window where the poop is concentrated. I’m calling my AV in the morning, but meanwhile, what kinds of scary diseases am I worrying about tonight? We are in north Texas if that’s relevant.
I will be isolating Konrad from my cockatiel who was downstairs and presumably well away from all this excitement, but I’ll see whether my vet is concerned about him too.

ALSO, fear not, shortly after getting home and discovering our little interloper we got a window open and she was able to fly away safely.:strlng1:

Attachments

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sure itll be ok...I'd be more worried about the wet drywall from the flooding. But do ask your vet,, BUMP!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’ve had a few sparrows somehow get inside over the last two years and they’re always drawn to my budgie cage and are usually hanging off the side of it chatting to my budgie or trying to steal his food by the time I discover them, so far (as uncomfortable as it makes me) we’ve been just fine. I’d guess if the bird was not sickly and you don’t have a huge wild bird disease or mite problem that you have a great chance there’s no real issue with the surprise visitor.