• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wiggle-Neck Regurgitation

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Hey all,

Remeber how I told you guys all that Paulie likes to wiggle-neck for? Well today I actually saw, and caught on video, regurgitation. I'm worried that Paulie might think tissues are more than awesome. Considering it's allergy, flu, and cold season, I can't exactly avoid using tissues. I'm including the video of Paulie so you guys can see for yourself. My question to you guys is; is there truly cause for concern and if so what could I do to prevent this from becoming unhealthy.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Popper and Toby do that too!! I'm hoping it's a parrotlett thing.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not an unhealthy thing unless he does it constantly and for a long period of time. It looks pretty ordinary for a parrotlet to me.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Mine only wiggled to a tea box a couple of times when he arrived. If it becomes a thing, you could consider chasing him away or move away from him when you use one of those.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mine does this to a certain toy. When I switched cages around I tried leaving it out but he was so sad I relented. :rolleyes:

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Mine was always wiggle necking for tissues, mouse cords, for pill bottles, cans of coke, paper tubes, plastic eater eggs... I think they're very eager to bond lol what I would do is if it was for the same thing for long enough that they got territorial, I would move the object for awhile when they couldn't see, to cool things off. But it seems like they're prone to falling in love with things fast haha at least that's how Curtis was.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Neck wiggling in parrotlet, to my understanding, is their way of saying that they love someone/something. This is usually follow by regurgitating on said favorite subject but not always.
When I got Joseph into the house, Mali instantly liked his new brother. He kept messing with Joseph when I brought him out for hand feedings, trying to preen him. When I’m stirring the formula, he would just wiggle and fed Joseph himself, as if he was telling me that I was too slow.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Tissues are very exciting for parrotlets. You are lucky Paulie likes them in a positive way. My boys will attack them! TO THE DEATH! they say!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Lol, thanks all. I just wanted to be sure. I think Paulie is becoming seasonally hormonal. He's going for toes lately :facepalm::jawdrop1:... mine to be more specific.

But I also notice that he is trying to hide into small dark spaces. Any ideas about this behavior? I'm a little concerned because his favorite small dark space seems to be the nook between the arm of the couch and my butt/hip. He'll climb down into there and just settle in.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was thinking of you the other day. Pichu isn't wiggling so often but he did it last week, obviously very happy to eat his soup! That was so cute!!
Dark places are usual for Pichu, he has his kitchen cabinets where he can spend hours and he is in there every day. I haven't observed anything remotely hormonal though so I'm not sure what to tell you, except maybe try and sit in the middle of the couch instead of the side for a while?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Looking for dark spaces is a sign of nesting behaviour. It will be hard to completely curtail. If my guys are getting too sassy with this.. I usually give the birds a nice fresh / large branch of leaves -from a safe tree of course- they will spend their day breaking leaves and watching them fall. Giving Paulie an exciting and time consuming new hobby could help him temporarily, until the toy is used up... then time for another!