• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Width & Depth of your parrot's cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How important do you think these two measurements are for your parrot's general well being?:)

For Emma's Expandable Habitat cage, I decided to go with these interior measurements - Depth of 30 inches and a width of 36 inches. :)

I'd think that for parrots with long tails like Macaws, quakers, Cockatiels etc, height of the cage would be a vital factor to consider.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
that is a good size thanks for sharing

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Everything I have read agrees that the wider/deeper the cage the better versus taller being better

That sounds like a good size, Boogie is in a 36 x 28 and has room to fully extend and flap his wings

Bobo is in a 40 x 30 and has plenty of flap room

Stevo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Width and depth give much more useable space, imo, over height. I'd love to get a large 'macaw' style cage size but not so high (with a cupboard underneath). That would put the tray at a good workable height and wouldnt affect the birds useable space.

Shame that cage designers dont think the same... lol

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiba (Indian Ringneck) was in a small cage to start with while he was youn, and then when I got my Cockatiels a new and bigger cage, Keiba got the Cockatiels old cage which is BIG, dimensions are: 95cm(L) x 58cm(W) x 136cm(H). Plenty big enough for his soon-to-be long tail.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm with Stevo .. I wish cage makers would focus more on width and depth, than height. I even think sometimes they get a little nuts with depth of cages <except for ones made for bird with very long tails>. I'd rather have the lower space of a cage for a shelf, or storage myself, as none of my birds really go to floor of their cages often, and if they do, they still don't need the bottom of the cage to be almost to floor of the house.

I keep searching for a stock cage that has a lot of width, but without the huge depth for my Caiques .. but have not yet had any success. I've love a 40" or 42" wide cage, but most of them, at that width, are about 30" deep, and I don't need, and can't fit, that depth of a cage, nor do I need the cage bottom to go all the way to floor.

My $$$ would be spend on width .. I think you can do more .. my dream cage would be shorter in height, nice and wide, with a shelf for storage underneath. <Again, leaving out species with very long tails, that's a whole other type of cage>.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
My $$$ would be spend on width .. I think you can do more .. my dream cage would be shorter in height, nice and wide, with a shelf for storage underneath. <Again, leaving out species with very long tails, that's a whole other type of cage>.
That's exactly what I'm going for with Lola's cage. :highfive: It's going to be a little shorter (just under 5 feet tall), 36" wide by 24" interior (I wanted wider but the cost to widen it is SUPER expensive unless I go with select widths and I can't fit 48" right now!), with a nice storage shelf underneath :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wide and deep is the name of the game.

14ft wide x 4ft deep

10 ft wide x 6ft deep.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Almost all my cages are
36"L x 24"W x 39"H

and that is plenty wide enough for Quakers, Conures, Budgies, Tiels and their Long tails

not a single one has ever broken their tail in those cages (which are my Critter Nation cages)

now when I pull a pair of budgies out to put in a Breeding cage, which is not small they're like 24" from left to right and 17" from back to front and only has 2 birds in a cage

but I've had a couple of budgies (every time its been a boy) Break their tails off after being in one for a couple of days

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
The cage I upgraded Tango and Jasper to goes all the way to the floor. No shelf underneath. It is 46" wide x 29" deep and inside height is 66" I thought for sure the majority of this was going to be wasted space. I set up things in different levels and I have found that after having the cage for 8 months they are using all levels of the cage now.

Status
Not open for further replies.