• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Why does this behavior mean? Wally is constantly looking at me directly in the face, standing up tall, flapping his wings, and “yelling” at me. He doesn’t seem angry, he’s not bitey, I will just talk to him, maybe move him to a different shoulder, give him kisses, and he’s fine. He doesn’t move away. No aggression or fear (he literally doesn’t fear me at all haha) I don’t know if he’s just annoyed because he wants to be out all the time or because he just is vocal and bossy. Thoughts?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Could you maybe upload a video? That might help people assess what’s going on

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I’m not able to upload a video at the moment, but it’s almost as if he is in the deep conversation with me. For minutes we will go back and forth. He will stand tall and shoulders back a bit and then flapping and yelling. And then resumes flying around

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My cockatiel will sometimes do something very similar, like he’s telling me some insane story and he’s getting animated in the retelling :roflmao:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My cockatiel will sometimes do something very similar, like he’s telling me some insane story and he’s getting animated in the retelling :roflmao:
In the beginning, I was like what? What? And would try to look around and see if something is setting him off, or if I’m doing something that he likes or doesn’t like. But he doesn’t seem angry, just really animated, lots of flapping, lots of loud chirps. He will fly directly over and tilt his head and do this inches from my face. Since it happens a few times a day, now I just talk back and smother him with kisses. He accepts and he just goes about his day. The only difference in behavior I’ve noticed is that he didn’t want to do tricks. Like he wants his treats but acts like he forgot (he didn’t). Other than that, he is his normal crazy active self.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine does the same thing. When she starts I start asking questions, like is it really that bad and on and on we go. Then she shuts up and goes about her day. Sometimes we have to think like a bird :laughing7:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Maybe the quick flapping of the wings means excitement? The both do it but Wally has extended conversations with me. Sometimes he slaps me in the face with his wings. I’m like really? :cautious:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Pico does it and I take it as almost like showing off hi I am here hello I want attention look at me sometimes though it’s followed with the clicking and trying to feed me then I have to put him down
It’s actually how I taught pico wings I just said oh wings big wings you have gorgeous wings and gave a bit of millet now if u say where’s your wings big wings he flutters them

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Pico does it and I take it as almost like showing off hi I am here hello I want attention look at me sometimes though it’s followed with the clicking and trying to feed me then I have to put him down
It’s actually how I taught pico wings I just said oh wings big wings you have gorgeous wings and gave a bit of millet now if u say where’s your wings big wings he flutters them
That is so cute! Wally is definitely an attention hog. And he does click all the time…how do you deter that? I put on a different platform, remove the object or remove myself, I distract him with toys or a foraging seed but sometimes he does it so much I’m like jeez, you are going to kick all the hair off your head.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How cute!
I think wing flipping means excitement in a way, either positive or negative. My fischeris do it a lot when they are a little excited/worked up, my roseicollis boys only when excited. Like Wally henkie used to do it a lot when he told me stories in lovebird language. Not anymore though, I miss him doing that:)