• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa M

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Why?​

When I arrive at 6:30am to find that the kennel attendant has quit without notice, and that every animal has eliminated bodily excretions of one sort or another and that we have two heartworm treatments, an orthopedic surgery, a barium series, four spays, three neuters, and cats to bathe and dip by noon...

When the doctor dashes out the door at noon spouting an oral schedule of medications, treatment instructions, dosages and a reminder to give that cat an enema and take another radiograph by 1:30 (since I obviously won't be going to lunch anyway) as the door closes behind him...

When I take the Schnauzer on IV fluids for a little walk and out of habit lock the door behind me, remembering too late that my keys are lying on the lab desk...

When two cats and a Cocker Spaniel have urinated on my new lab coat and pants, and clients are beginning to wrinkle their noses and cast doubtful looks my way, and I absolutely MUST stop at the grocery store on my way home...

When I have been clawed, stepped on, snapped at, and had anal sacs expressed on me, and the anxious owner is pleading with me to "be gentle with poor Satan, he's NEVER bitten anyone BEFORE"!!!

When my feet ache, my back hurts, and my legs feel like overstretched rubber bands...

When incoming bills far exceed my bank balance...

When I ask myself, "WHY DO I DO THIS"???

...I help breathe life into a newborn kitten.

...I see the look of fear and pain begin to leave a young dog as fluids, medication, and loving care relieve shock and anxiety.

...I feel a little pink tongue gently touch my hand as I check a bandage, and I look up to see trusting eyes and I hear a thumping tail acknowledge my words of encouragement.

...I hear the cry of joy and an answering bark as an aging owner and equally aging pet are reunited.

...I touch the bereaved client's shoulder as she holds her dying pet and feel the grief she feels of losing her best friend, as she realizes SOMEONE understands.

...and I truly know that I could NEVER do anything else!!!

Melissa M

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
This was read during our Vet Tech pinning ceremony on May 7, 2010....sums up why I do what I do perfectly!! Enjoy! :)

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, that is so moving!

chere

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
cher
Tears here...........thank you for what you do.........especially the last part...

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

cher

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that made me cry..how lovely

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
That was lovely. Congrats on your pinning!

Melissa M

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Thanks you guys. When ever I get frustrated, I read this...and it puts things back into perspective for me. I just wish that everyone in my profession, Vets included...would live to this standard.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for all you do for these animals..:)

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for doing what you do and Congrats on your pinning.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You are part of a wonderfully important profession. Thank you. :hug8:

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
aww that made me tear up! Congrats! That was great :) So true. Not everyone can do that job and it certainly requires a love of animals and a strong person.

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
Thats really sweet. i'm tearing up here.

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
That was great! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to take it to work and hang it up for all to read when things get chaotic. Refresh our memories on why we go through what we do every day.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Thank you for what you do, Melissa. Reading that made me cry. The animals are lucky to have you:hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your pinning!

Matt

Status