• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why?????

animallover

Jogging around the block
Hi all can anyone tell me why people go from one forum to another and slam one another? I have noticed it happen a lot. It doesn't happen so much here but I do see it a lot of 2 other forums I belong too. This one is mad at that one so they get banned and then the slamming starts. I don't think that is very mature and certainly not the intention that the forum was started. I thought the forums were a place where people could get together to discuss their birds and ask questions if they needed advice. I am glad to see it doesn't happen here too often. It certainly is disheartening. Thanks!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
It really is disheartening and I have actually never seen it happen here. You are right, we are here for the birds.. sometimes we get a little testy in replies to people, especially if they refuse to listen when they asked for advice about their birds in the first place. But mostly that is because we are concerned for the bird's welfare. I can see them then going onto a different forum, getting the same kinds of answers and not liking it either. Some people will take advice and others just want to hear what they want to hear.

animallover

Jogging around the block
Thanks Anne but most of the slamming I have seen going on is from members who slam or talk badly about each other. It is sad! I believe that if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything. It is immature and not nice to gossip or slam another person for any reason.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
It seems to happen when new forums form, *if* the forum was created by people who were unhappy at other forum(s) and *if* the new forum owner allows it. I remember a similar situation a couple years ago but that new forum did not last. No forum can thrive if it doesn't meet the needs of its members and generally grousing about other forums dies down fairly quickly. That alone cannot sustain a forum. I'm not a big PM user, but I would venture a guess that the same slamming goes on behind the scenes via PMs in many forums. We just don't see it because it's private.

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
Oh MAN are snake forums bad! I was an avid member for a few years of a very popular one and some of the people were just awful, and yet others were absolutely amazing.

VickiNC

Strolling the yard
I've seen this happen on every discussion forum I've belonged to -- whether it's about dogs, horses, birds or any other subject. When it happens between established members (as opposed to new people asking questions and not liking the answers), I think it's generally because some people regard their opinions as facts and won't tolerate being "challenged." If they feel the need to defend their position, and they don't have any facts to support it, they can only respond by being loud / patronizing / nasty / whatever. When two or more people with competing opinions start discussing a subject, and none of them are willing to consider opinions or facts other than their own, the discussion deteriorates rapidly.

As others have said, the best thing is simply to avoid these kinds of discussions altogether. It's like debating politics or religion at a family gathering -- just don't do it.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think it's generally because some people regard their opinions as facts and won't tolerate being "challenged." If they feel the need to defend their position, and they don't have any facts to support it, they can only respond by being loud / patronizing / nasty / whatever. When two or more people with competing opinions start discussing a subject, and none of them are willing to consider opinions or facts other than their own, the discussion deteriorates rapidly.
I was kicked from a FB group over a discussion very much like that! I was fine with the group! No problems about any of the members! But the owner posted something as a safety warning to other members, which I was fine with the warning. I was not, however, fine with the fact that there was no info to back up this claim of a safety hazard and was tired of it being posted all over the internet. I put a link up that said that there are no known problems with this product, and I questioned it. I didn't say it was safe, or that I'd use it, let alone recommend it, but I put that info out there to try and better inform people.

I detest ignorance. It's better to make an informed decision based on caution/safety rather than one based on ignorance. Here's part of the reply from her.

If you want to take a chance on using them...go right ahead!! I will have no pity when you pour your story on us all that your birds fell ill.

So ya... I have experience of that! And yes, I have ranted about it! However, due to some amount of respect, I haven't named this person nor their group. I know the owner of the group meant well in posting that info, but the owner blew up "in my face" when I posted info to only try and better inform people. (don't think they liked me putting the link up either, since it went to a forum as the info has only been posted in two forums that I am aware of) I wasn't exactly nice back to the owner after what they said to me, but I was not rude to them in the same way they were to me (i.e. the death of their pets and having no pity for them).

Irritated with the blatant ignorance and lack of people educating themselves, I came up with this quote.

"The Earth is not flat and the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Don't be afraid to question what you learn. In doing so, you may discover a greater truth. ~Mc"

In short, don't ever stop learning! Try and get the facts! Get various opinions! Even if you come across something that you don't agree with, at least consider it. Try and see where the other person is coming from before dismissing it. Many arguments are often because people are passionate about a subject and they don't agree with the other side. (guilty of that myself! more because I switched sides and don't agree with the old stuff)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I think good Admin/SM and Mods are essential to a board running smoothly. :)
Things go south really fast if you have dissension among the troops.
The last board was just awful!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
AA is my main forum, although .. lol .. I do "lurk" at a few others, just for •••••• and giggles. Usually when someone gets mad at a forum, they'll go to another and bash. Just saw it recently from an ex-member here .. it was kinda funny actually .. so whiny and "poor me". :rofl: Of course only giving one side of story, which is typical, "I didn't do anything!! :eek:"

I always figure, if you don't like it here .. then "don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya" .. :D

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For some reason when certain people sit behind a keyboard they become warriors and heroes, you would find a lot of them wouldn't have the balls to say a lot of what they type to your face.

Best just to ignore them and let them drift in their little online fantasy world. :rolleyes:

I'll be the one madly researching more on lories and enjoying the site. :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

I was kicked from a FB group over a discussion very much like that! I was fine with the group! No problems about any of the members! But the owner posted something as a safety warning to other members, which I was fine with the warning. I was not, however, fine with the fact that there was no info to back up this claim of a safety hazard and was tired of it being posted all over the internet. I put a link up that said that there are no known problems with this product, and I questioned it. I didn't say it was safe, or that I'd use it, let alone recommend it, but I put that info out there to try and better inform people.

I detest ignorance. It's better to make an informed decision based on caution/safety rather than one based on ignorance. Here's part of the reply from her.

So ya... I have experience of that! And yes, I have ranted about it! However, due to some amount of respect, I haven't named this person nor their group. I know the owner of the group meant well in posting that info, but the owner blew up "in my face" when I posted info to only try and better inform people. (don't think they liked me putting the link up either, since it went to a forum as the info has only been posted in two forums that I am aware of) I wasn't exactly nice back to the owner after what they said to me, but I was not rude to them in the same way they were to me (i.e. the death of their pets and having no pity for them).

Irritated with the blatant ignorance and lack of people educating themselves, I came up with this quote.

"The Earth is not flat and the Sun does not revolve around the Earth. Don't be afraid to question what you learn. In doing so, you may discover a greater truth. ~Mc"

In short, don't ever stop learning! Try and get the facts! Get various opinions! Even if you come across something that you don't agree with, at least consider it. Try and see where the other person is coming from before dismissing it. Many arguments are often because people are passionate about a subject and they don't agree with the other side. (guilty of that myself! more because I switched sides and don't agree with the old stuff)
haha I wonder if it was the same group and same subject that I was kicked out of for bringing up the fact that there was no basis for the mass hysteria running around the internet about it and that people needed to look at the facts and not just one persons opinion ;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
haha I wonder if it was the same group and same subject that I was kicked out of for bringing up the fact that there was no basis for the mass hysteria running around the internet about it and that people needed to look at the facts and not just one persons opinion ;)
If you saw my post, then yes! If no, then probably not, or the comments were deleted or the info was reposted! I was kicked over a potential (but not proven - regardless of the story that goes with it that mentions some random person that no one actually knows!) cooking hazard! This info was cross-posted through a vets office on FB as well, and I doubt that even they knew the truth of it.

Ah well, I hope people will look more into what they don't know! I do feel sorry for the owner who lost 3 birds supposedly because of this product, but sadly they never did a necropsy on their birds (to confirm), and we don't know if the product was used correctly or not (it did melt... did the oven get too hot? does this product become dangerous only when it's overheated/melts?) - or what else might have resulted in the death of their birds. I have found other owners who have used this product, and they have birds, and their birds are not dead. Myself, I would be too afraid to use it, even if the facts state it's safe. I wouldn't want to take that chance that it's not.

twitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Adam
Would that be about a certain non stick coating?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Nope, not about PTFE. Oven bags. PTFE is a *KNOWN* killer! No doubt about it!

twitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Adam
Wth is an oven bag?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2