• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why you should never give up

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I want to tell you guys a story of my favorite chicken. She is a Rhode Island red it is about 3 years old. She is my absolute favorite chicken. I noticed about a month ago she was sitting by herself and as we all know this usually means that a bird does not feel well. After investigating her I realize that her belly felt like I had a big water balloon in it. I immediately separated her from the others and put her in a cage that we use to break a Broody hens. I did this because chickens will sometimes team up on a weak hen and kill them. I unfortunately did not have the money to take her to the vet so I had to get for supportive care. A couple of days before we were supposed to leave to go on vacation my husband was thinking about finally taking her and worried they might have to put her down. I told him that we're not going to give up on her because she was eating and drinking normally and having no issues with breathing. But from everything we have read on the web of swollen stomach with fluid usually means death. The day before we left she was ran out of the cage that she was in and ran around like nothing ever happened I felt her if she still had some fluid but not as much as she used to. When we got back from our vacation and she was 100% back to her old self. I'm so glad we did not give up on her and continued to take the best care we can offer her because now my favorite chicken is back with her girls and doing as well as she was before

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am glad you had a positive outcome. Since you are not 100% sure what the issue was, or what caused it, I would make sure you check her everyday. It could reoccur. It also could have been a symptom to more serious condition which has not yet presented itself. Rhode Island reds are prolific egg layers, sadly it is very hard on their little bodies. I would offer a vitamin supplement, as supportive care.

For your reference here is a credible site to help you with understand chicken health. It will not replace a vet, only a reference.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m glad your hen is ok! :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ascites. There are a few causes of ascites in chickens. I'm glad that the fluid went away on it's own, but from what I understand, it can come back. If you can afford it once you return from your trip, you may still want to take her to the vet. I'm glad she's feeling better now :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm glad shes better, but do get her looked when you get back..

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
AE198469-48C3-432A-A911-76B501D21F68.jpeg
Awww so glad your hen is ok! This is Marcy, she survived both a dog attack and a coyote attack! She is one of my sister in laws hens. She always comes to say hi when I go out to visit Sparrow.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I want to tell you guys a story of my favorite chicken. She is a Rhode Island red it is about 3 years old. She is my absolute favorite chicken. I noticed about a month ago she was sitting by herself and as we all know this usually means that a bird does not feel well. After investigating her I realize that her belly felt like I had a big water balloon in it. I immediately separated her from the others and put her in a cage that we use to break a Broody hens. I did this because chickens will sometimes team up on a weak hen and kill them. I unfortunately did not have the money to take her to the vet so I had to get for supportive care. A couple of days before we were supposed to leave to go on vacation my husband was thinking about finally taking her and worried they might have to put her down. I told him that we're not going to give up on her because she was eating and drinking normally and having no issues with breathing. But from everything we have read on the web of swollen stomach with fluid usually means death. The day before we left she was ran out of the cage that she was in and ran around like nothing ever happened I felt her if she still had some fluid but not as much as she used to. When we got back from our vacation and she was 100% back to her old self. I'm so glad we did not give up on her and continued to take the best care we can offer her because now my favorite chicken is back with her girls and doing as well as she was before
Aww, that's is so good to hear!
For chickens its really hard on their bodies to lay so many eggs as they've been selectively bred for years from laying 10 eggs to 120 per year. I've read and my friend probably once a week gives the egg back for the chicken to eat the egg and get all the nutrients its lost from making the egg. This makes sure they lose the least amount of nutrients as possible :)