• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why wont they talk

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Regardless of whether or not they talk, I think they understand everything. It's a bit disconcerting, really. I've had mine a few days & I watch what I say around them. They look like they understand.

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I was recently listening to a webinar and the speaker was a vet. He said exactly what others here posted. He also said that many owners swear their birds are saying a particular word or phrase but the owner is the only one that can distinguish the word/phrase. :rofl:
This is me swearing on my life that Isla is mimicking "pretty bird"... The intonation and everything is there, people!!!

BirdWorld

I do this all the time! Had my husband in creases because I was convinced he was saying "ooooh Bilbo Baggins" :rofl:

I can... sort of hear it?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
no matter what i do my 2 male budgies wont talk . i have had them just a little over a month now and they are 4 months old , i try to teach them to talk but they wont?
Alyssa, how much time do you spend trying to teach them the phrases? Like do you say it 20 times in one day?
I was trying to hand-tame a budgie and it wasn't working someone here told me I wasn't doing it nearly enough. It's probably the same with talking, you need to say it 100 times (or whatever the number is) before they get it.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Alyssa, how much time do you spend trying to teach them the phrases? Like do you say it 20 times in one day?
I was trying to hand-tame a budgie and it wasn't working someone here told me I wasn't doing it nearly enough. It's probably the same with talking, you need to say it 100 times (or whatever the number is) before they get it.
i say it like 200 times just an 8 hours , im not even joking

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Blueberry started to say kind of garbled words in about one month after he came to live with me. He started to talk at three months old. He says many different phrases...great talker! I work with him daily. He talks mostly in the early morning and before bedtime around 6:45 PM.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do two budgies usually learn human phrases? I ask because a family member just announced she is determined to teach my two to say, "I love you [her name]!". I'm sure she'll try bribing them with treats. Wonder if she'll be successful. :rolleyes:

I prefer your phrase, alyssanor. Much more inclusive.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I've only had three budgies total, and my angel budgie Lucy talked up a storm. She was an adult when she (he really) was given to me. She had a large vocabulary. These two I have now hardly say a word! I think it helps to play the t.v. and music for them, as they might try and mimic these. Fergus said CHEE CHOO one time, from a song that I played a lot, and I have picked up "Nite" from one of them as I'm putting them to bed. They talk with each other constantly, and Fergus chatters up a storm, but I think it's "Budgie language"!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Usually for birds to talk, they need to get something out of it. A lot of times it's just attention that they want :lol: If you say the same words over and over, they just become background noise and essentially meaningless. Try to pair it with an action or something exciting and don't overwhelm them.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Often times it is their relationship with you that can spur them to talk. If you are considered a part of their flock then they will imitate you to get your attention. That said, some are more able to imitate speech than others. Budgies being able to imitate you has nothing to do with their ability to bond with you. Being accepted as a part of their flock is the ultimate compliment whether they ever talk or not.