• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why won't my 2 lovebirds get along?

Cyan

Moving in
So my 3 months old lovebird (Cyan) and 1 month old lovebird (Green) won't get along. I have tried to make them interact but the older lovebird tries to hurt the younger lovebird. I have also put them in the same cage with a division but they still won't get along. What should I do? Did I do something wrong that might have caused them not to get along?
(Sorry for my bad grammar)

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Just like us humans, not everyone is going to like everyone else… just because they’re the same species doesn’t mean they’ll like each other. This is the reason we always tell people here never to buy a companion bird for their bird, only ever buy a bird for you- there is never a guarantee that they’ll like each other or even grow to like each other or be safe enough to house together. Unfortunately, you may need to always house them separately for life just as many others here do with their birds.
Even if they don’t like each other enough to share a cage or even out of cage time they will benefit from the company of another bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Shezbug left a great post above.

I have tried to make them interact
This is the problem. You can´t make them interact, they have to do it of their own free will.

Have the cages placed side by side (with a good 15cm space between the cages), place a perch level in each cage so they can sit ¨side by side¨ if they want. Let them get used to each other like this first. Once they seem to be ok with each others presence (not trying to fight through cage bars) you can let them out into the room together (under close supervision) and see how they get on. let them out every day and in time hopefully they will be friendly towards each other. You can´t rush this, it takes time. But it is important that your birds feel like they have a choice.

Also, something else important, the beads on the swing in Greens cage are painted and are toxic to birds. You can try to take it apart and remove the beads and replace with some that are safe if you want to salvage the swing.