• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why sell something unsafe?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I bought Ollie a new toy today, and didn't really look at it super closely since it's the same type of tennis shoes he's had before but a different manufacturer. When I got home I realized they were all tied and double knotted. I didn't get a pic before I untied them but all I could think was what a strangle risk that is. Someone new to birds might not know any better and this toy could potentially kill them. It's so frustrating. I did some quick fixes to make it safe though. I untied them, which still a risk, and added enough beads that he won't get tangled in them or wrap it around any part. Manufacturer was A&E.

Screenshot_20180516-191228_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20180516-191203_Messenger.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Profit :/ They also don't tend to think about all the ways parrots can get in trouble like we do!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I did some quick fixes to make it safe though. I untied them, which still a risk, and added enough beads that he won't get tangled in them or wrap it around any part. Manufacturer was A&E. View attachment 276985 View attachment 276986
I do like your way better! Not only is it safer, it's a much prettier and fun-looking toy. :tup:

ps Love that sticker in the background. ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Safety for our fragile birds is primary. Saw a post on FB today that was frighteningly not bird safe. A Grey had eaten avacado somehow.
The owners decided to take the bird to the vet in the morning. Bird was dead by that time. I am thinking it must have suffered terribly from the toxins.

Thanks for being safety conscious.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Safety for our fragile birds is primary. Saw a post on FB today that was frighteningly not bird safe. A Grey had eaten avacado somehow.
The owners decided to take the bird to the vet in the morning. Bird was dead by that time. I am thinking it must have suffered terribly from the toxins.

Thanks for being safety conscious.
That stuff really upsets me to. Like why have pets if you don't want to do what they need? I would move heaven and earth for my guys if need be. I also am what my husband calls "paranoid" about their safety and keep everything unsafe as far as I can away from them. I know accidents still can happen, but, it's my responsibility to reduce as much risk as I can.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hear you and feel the same way.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Things like this are the reason I make most of Chirp's toys myself, and if I do buy toys, it's from an AA vendor. I like knowing everything in a toy and that I can trust it's safe (of course I still check everything over, but it's nice to feel secure.)

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I make most toys for the birds as well and when I do buy them I bird proof them first. Some toys even have cotton rope all the way around to attach fluffy bits to the outside. So many strangulation hazards!!!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Agree...I can't tell you how many times I get fixated on "what ifs" when making toys. I almost stopped making jingles because I worry about big beaks...

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Agree...I can't tell you how many times I get fixated on "what ifs" when making toys. I almost stopped making jingles because I worry about big beaks...
Good that you put that warning though. Thank you for that. :hug8:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
My rule is to "Know the Vendor You Are buying bird toys from"
I guess I was under the impression that A&E was a decent company since my parents like their cages, but I hadn't gotten a toy from them before.

I'm thankful I at least have the ability to make things safe, I'm just more concerned for people who don't, or don't know better. I don't mind where I buy my toys honestly, something fun and what they like is what I look for, though, I do buy most of my toys from AA vendors also it seems now, or make them. It just infuriates me knowing this store sells baby birds so there has to be new people that get them and don't know what to look for or even think about when it comes to toys. Just kind of the mindset of oh, it's made for birds so it's safe. I'm honestly planning on buying another one of these toys for Slade since he likes shoes too, I just didn't have the money that day, I just wish corporate bird companies took more responsiblity.

Sign of a great toy maker. You care and make sure that people are aware of any safety risks. I wish all companies were like this, since not even all corporate places have the generic watch your bird with toys to make sure they're safe.