• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my sun conure making this noise?

Maaham

Checking out the neighborhood
I’m pretty worried since my sun conure keeps making this noise. Is this normal? She doesn’t have a runny nose, is very active, pooping and eating and playing like normal. I’ve heard Sun conures make a variety of different noises which are usually harmless but this one really gets me a bit worried since she will do it at random times. It doesn’t seem like it’s for communication or attention. Anyone got any ideas?

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like a hiss. Some do it out of excitement, some do it as a warning.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I don't know, but I've never seen anything so CUTE before!!!! :laugh::heart2:

Maaham

Checking out the neighborhood
Sounds like a hiss. Some do it out of excitement, some do it as a warning.
She isn’t really making the noise at anything specifically which makes me question if it’s actually hissing or wheezing. She will randomly start doing it when sat alone in her own world. I have to get her attention to make her stop

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Looking at it again, I agree with Mizzely - it sounds like a hiss - she's making it on the exhale. I think with wheezing she would be making the sound on the inhale, or inhale and exhale.

I have to get her attention to make her stop
It could be that you are inadvertently reinforcing the sound with your attention.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Looks like a warning hiss or just I'm happy reaction but like Mizzely said if you're worried take her in for a check-up. I think the basic check-up Pippen got recently was around 150 bucks but she was sneezing so figured better safe than sorry. She checked out fine and vet gave us a antihistamine pill to grind up and give her a tiny amount if she does it more for a long time. She loves to dunk her food and pretty sure she gets water in her nose sometimes.