• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my quaker so bipolar?

bimb0

Checking out the neighborhood
Why is my quaker so aggressive and bipolar

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Because he's a quaker.

LOL

Just kidding. Or maybe not. Mine was also pretty "bipolar". I think it just comes down to essentially a wild animal, living in an unnatural way in our homes, and it's really not perfect no matter how you slice it. They have needs and wants and they can't communicate with us easily with what they need, and that leads to frustration on both sides.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mine's been in a snit for the past week or so. He's in the middle of a heavy moult, which always makes him cranky and attacky until it subsides. Showers help a little bit, and I make sure he still has positive training sessions - I just keep my hands clear until he's back to himself again. (e.g. for training I'll offer rewards in a little cup rather than putting my fingers in biting range).

It's hard being a bird.

Reactions: tka

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
as mizzley said it’s probably just hormones. you can help with hormones by making sure you aren’t stroking his back, making sure there’s not too much fat in his diet, and making sure he doesn’t seem his cage as a “nest” . but sometimes they’re just hormonal, especially during spring, birds are very unique LMAO