• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my Budgie sleeping and not eating?

Browny399

Moving in
Real Name
Rajveer
Hey guys. I have 2 budgies, a Blue Male and a Green Female. Both are very playful and they play all day, The Green Female was fine until 4 PM but after that she became lethargy and is sleeping since then, she also not eating. Its 9:30 PM now

What could be wrong with her? Please help me

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She may have an infection. Those are the common symptoms. A vet is needed to diagnose her and prescribe the correct medication.

Browny399

Moving in
Real Name
Rajveer
She may have an infection. Those are the common symptoms. A vet is needed to diagnose her and prescribe the correct medication.
But how can an infection symptom come all of sudden? I will definately take her to the vet tomorrow morning. Thanks for the reply bro

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Birds are very good at hiding their illnesses until they're very sick. Please keep us posted as to what her vet says. Hopefully you have access to an avian vet in your area.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How old is she?

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
its likely that the bird is sick. please get it to an avian vet. a bird could get exposed to toxic metal or something else. after a few tests, the avian vet could tell you what may have caused the illness and give you medication. also until the budgie is healthy again i would separate the two so dieases dont spread.

Browny399

Moving in
Real Name
Rajveer
She is around 1.5 years old. I found a vet that also treat birds near me so i will visit there. I will post an update after visiting the vet

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Is this a new behaviour? My budgies sometimes take long naps in the day. Are you sure she wasn't just tired? How long have you had her?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Is this a new behaviour? My budgies sometimes take long naps in the day. Are you sure she wasn't just tired? How long have you had her?
I'm glad you are checking it out with the vet- and not sure where you or what time it gets dark there- but surely its not that unusual for her to sleep a bit earlier? 4.30 is early, but maybe she just didn't have enough naps? By 9.30 pm my birds are definitely out for the count and surely most birds are?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any updates?

Browny399

Moving in
Real Name
Rajveer
Birds are very good at hiding their illnesses until they're very sick. Please keep us posted as to what her vet says. Hopefully you have access to an avian vet in your area.
its likely that the bird is sick. please get it to an avian vet. a bird could get exposed to toxic metal or something else. after a few tests, the avian vet could tell you what may have caused the illness and give you medication. also until the budgie is healthy again i would separate the two so dieases dont spread.
I'm glad you are checking it out with the vet- and not sure where you or what time it gets dark there- but surely its not that unusual for her to sleep a bit earlier? 4.30 is early, but maybe she just didn't have enough naps? By 9.30 pm my birds are definitely out for the count and surely most birds are?
Any updates?
Thank you so much for the support and helpful replies guys. I took her to the Vet and he diagnosed her with fever and diarrhea. He gave medicine and told to pour it in her water bowl. After 2 days she is fine and is back to her normal behavior.
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200530182817776_COVER.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's great - just make sure you continue to give the medications as long as the vet told you to, or the infection might grow back.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the doc take a temperature? I am wondering how he knows a budgie has a fever?