• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my bird doing this?

D.Chu

Meeting neighbors
Hello Avians,

I have 2 lovebirds, one male one female. The yellow one is the female. Its been about 5 months since i had the male bird and the female yellow bird, i had for more than a year.

Everyday, my yellow bird would do this

Why is she doing that? I am concerned.

On another note, every evening, i would put both birds in a cage with a separator in between so they dont fight. Everytime i put them in the cage, they would seem so lovong to each other. The male would cough up some food for the female bird to eat. However, when they are out of the cage, the female bird just doesnt want to tolerate the male bird. What should i do so they stay lovey dovey like when they are in the cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The first part, with the perch, is completely normal, although I can not explain it. Many birds will do that. As for the second part of your question, that is truly up to them as frustrating as it sounds.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
More toys offered and some different types of perches and things to chew and destroy.

They can still find the strangest things to play with. But need the enrichment of toys

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What should i do so they stay lovey dovey like when they are in the cage?
As Expressmailtome said above, there isn't much you can do to ensure that. But you can do some things to help encourage a healthy relationship between the pair.
Offer flock activities daily. That can be a large forraging tray/mat with treats and toys. A large plate with fresh veggies scattered on to eat. A large shallow bowl/plate with water to bathe in. The trick with all of these things is to choose a good sized tray/plate. Big enough for both birds to fit and enjoy the activity at the same time, but enough space so they aren't close enough for bites and fights.
I have a large plastic plant pot plate I bought from an odds and ends shop that I use for baths - they like the sink, but can sometimes bicker when they all want the running water at the same time, but I have quite a few more birds, perhaps they will be ok just two birds there - you could try it and see.
My youngest bird is single, so I have to use large plates for flock activities so he is included, but not attacked by others.