• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my baby so angry!

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
I just got my little Fiona a little over a week ago: I know it's been SUCH little time, but I just want to get a head start on how I can get her used to me! The first few days she was really excited to be around me and always wanted to come out. I was shocked to see that it seemed like she was used to me already! I'm not sure what exactly happened, but now she's been really hostile when I get near her. At first, she acts excited to see me and will come right up to the cage. I open the cage and sit farther back to see if she decides she wants to come out or not. She comes out and seems like she wants me to have her step up, but she'll usually give me a HARD bite and return back into her cage! She fluffs up and starts making a lot of noise with her beak open. I'll try to close the door once she goes back in and she'll lunge at my hands while I'm closing it.
I'm also thinking she's acting territorial over her food: the other day when I took out her food bowl to change it, she was furious! She kept lunging at my hand trying to put the bowl away. I know it's bad to make sudden and scary movements, but it's hard for me to not pull my hand back because her bites do hurt! What do you guys think? Again, I know it's only been less than a month that I've been with her, I just want to know exactly what I should do now so I can do everything I can to make her happy!
Also, she's a little less than a year old according to her breeder and I'm not entirely sure of her sex.

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard
Is there anything you could have done to make her angry. Was she in her cage without being let out for an entire day or more? I need to know. Have you spoke in a stern voice around her? She might have gotten scared about something or mad. How many toys does she have in her cage?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
She's very new, scared, perhaps missing her old home and owner.
With parrots you must move slowly. Don't push her too fast.
Talk with her lots, but don't try to touch without an invite.
You are expecting too much too soon.

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
Is there anything you could have done to make her angry. Was she in her cage without being let out for an entire day or more? I need to know. Have you spoke in a stern voice around her? She might have gotten scared about something or mad. How many toys does she have in her cage?
I don't think so... I've been trying to let her come out on her own instead of me taking her out, so I just open her cage door to do whatever she wants when I'm around. When she has bitten me, I have told her "no biting", but I have not raised my voice or gotten angry with her. She does have some toys in her cage, but she hasn't gotten used to playing with them.

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
She's very new, scared, perhaps missing her old home and owner.
With parrots you must move slowly. Don't push her too fast.
Talk with her lots, but don't try to touch without an invite.
You are expecting too much too soon.
Ok, thank you for the comment! I completely understand. Do you think I should just leave her be then besides talking to her from time to time? I'm usually always in the same room with her.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes, ambient attention for now is good. Let her get used to you, your voice, your movement.
Open her door, let her climb out and sit on top, or a nearby stand if you have one.
Every time you approach she should enjoy it. Even if it's just dropping a favorite seed in her dish.
Sing a soft song. Play the radio and see if she shows any interest in certain beats.
Mine all love classic rock, or anything with a good strong beat. Some birds love opera, some jazz or soul.
You want her to acquaint you with good things.
Fear, nervousness, and anxiety are things you want to avoid making her feel.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@jzarc17 @xjessicar9
Sounds like you are both in similar boats with your new birds.
Becky has posted some good tips above.
Just thought I would tag you both, it may be nice to share stories and support each other :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
To add to what macawpower58 said, you can try putting a perch just outside her cage door with a treat or toy that she likes to encourage her to come out on her own and hang out. I think it's natural for a new bird to be cage territorial. It's a new place and they're trying to establish what's "theirs". Almost every foster bird I've had has been cage territorial, at least initially. (Except my 'too who just wanted OUT. LOL.) As she calms down a bit, see if you can start hand feeding her some treats. Does she like millet? That usually works well because it's long and she doesn't have to get too close to those scary fingers.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Play the radio and see if she shows any interest in certain beats.
Mine all love classic rock, or anything with a good strong beat. Some birds love opera, some jazz or soul.
This is totally unrelated, but we have tried so many different songs and genres for Poppy with absolutely no reaction. Until we played Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys. She was screech-singing and head-bobbing like I'd never seen before. I just about died laughing.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is totally unrelated, but we have tried so many different songs and genres for Poppy with absolutely no reaction. Until we played Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys. She was screech-singing and head-bobbing like I'd never seen before. I just about died laughing.
But that is a great song to get into a dancy mood!! :lol: We need a little video next time ;)

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
But that is a great song to get into a dancy mood!! :lol: We need a little video next time ;)
Absolutely. If I wasn't doubled over crying when she was doing it the first time, I would have posted a video here immediately.

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
Yes, ambient attention for now is good. Let her get used to you, your voice, your movement.
Open her door, let her climb out and sit on top, or a nearby stand if you have one.
Every time you approach she should enjoy it. Even if it's just dropping a favorite seed in her dish.
Sing a soft song. Play the radio and see if she shows any interest in certain beats.
You want her to acquaint you with good things.
Fear, nervousness, and anxiety are things you want to avoid making her feel.
Great, thank you! Right now I have her cage door open to do whatever she wants while I do work nearby. She seems pretty relaxed and I've been trying different music for her! :)

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
LOL that's adorable!! I guess I'll have to discover Fiona's theme song one day too:p

xjessicar9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jess
To add to what macawpower58 said, you can try putting a perch just outside her cage door with a treat or toy that she likes to encourage her to come out on her own and hang out. I think it's natural for a new bird to be cage territorial. It's a new place and they're trying to establish what's "theirs". Almost every foster bird I've had has been cage territorial, at least initially. (Except my 'too who just wanted OUT. LOL.) As she calms down a bit, see if you can start hand feeding her some treats. Does she like millet? That usually works well because it's long and she doesn't have to get too close to those scary fingers.
Thanks for the message! Again, since this is my first time with a bird, I guess it's something for me to get used to. I'll work a little slower with her, and I definitely want to give her millet to try! I've heard it's yummy and yes... definitely a bonus to have my fingers spared! haha