• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why is he pooping on me...

carinlynchin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carine
I hear that they don't poop on their favorite person...and yes, i know he is still a baby but I'm noticing a pattern. He knows the command, like when we are hanging out, I'll take him over to the cage and say poop, and he'll go. But lately, he'll fly to me, poop on me, like on purpose or something. I don't think its a coincedence, I can't explain it, but I feel it. He used to not do that, like if we were hanging out, and he pooped, no big deal, but lately he'll fly over to me and poop on me ......maybe its in my head, but it feels personal unlike it did in the past if he pooped on me

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have never heard that they don't poop on their favorite person. Parrots poop. :) When and where they want. :) My tiel poops on me on all the time and I'm by far his favorite person. :)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Lol yes birds poop on everything and everyone. Some people are lucky and can train their birds to only poop on certain perches, or to indicate that the need to poop so they can move them off their shoulder or something but this is relatively rare.

I think I might be able to offer a bit of an explanation to why he seems to be pooping on you a lot after flying over... I've noticed with all of my birds that they tend to poop if they start moving after a bout of inactivity. So for example, my parrotlet will be preening/napping on my finger for almost half an hour without an incident. But as soon as I toss him away so that he flies to his cage, he does a huge poop. If he was preening/napping somewhere else and happened to fly to me instead the poop goes right in my lap lol. Because of this I always make sure to return my birds to their cages for a poop after cuddling or napping. Maybe the exercise from him flying over is similarly stimulating him to go? If this is the case, maybe try training him to fly to a perch right next to you instead of onto your head/shoulder?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Keep in mind, they poop about every 20 minutes but that can vary. I have learned with Jody, if she hasn't dumped her first morning load, don't take her out until she has moved around more and done it even if I know she has been awake for a hour. If I don't double check that little girl, I will be cleaning up a nasty one.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
Sapphire went through a little phase of flying over to poop on me! I think it was because I had just started complimenting her when she pooped while not on me and she wasn't sure exactly why she was being praised, but knew it was something to do with pooping. Possibly she was ensuring I noticed every poop so I could tell her how clever she is ;)
She doesn't do that anymore, but isn't particularly well potty trained. If she has been on me for 10 or so minutes I usually take her to a perch before she decides to drop her load. Sometimes she flies off to do it herself.

I've never heard of not pooping on a favoured person either. It certainly doesn't apply in our house lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sapphire went through a little phase of flying over to poop on me! I think it was because I had just started complimenting her when she pooped while not on me and she wasn't sure exactly why she was being praised, but knew it was something to do with pooping. Possibly she was ensuring I noticed every poop so I could tell her how clever she is ;)
She doesn't do that anymore, but isn't particularly well potty trained. If she has been on me for 10 or so minutes I usually take her to a perch before she decides to drop her load. Sometimes she flies off to do it herself.

I've never heard of not pooping on a favoured person either. It certainly doesn't apply in our house lol
I actually have done something similar. I'm always checking Sunny's droppings to make sure they look normal. And I'll usually say something like "good looking poop Sunny". :ashamed1: So now I think he feels like he needs to show me his poops. :bash:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
haaahahahahaha!!! Sorry but some of these comments did made me smile :)

My baby Senegal isnt potty trained also, though lately i notice when we're at home, she does tend to move away from me! When we're out and about, she just as happily drops everything on my shoulder!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Lol, I have never heard that before either. I guess I am lucky and the only bird who has ever pooped on me was Pancha, and that is very rare. They will take the poop stance, a bit of a different posture when they are about to poop so you have about one second to see it and move quick lol. Mine always have a climbing net in their rooms, so they know to poop there, which is over plastic carpet runners so it is easy cleanup. If you are bringing them from their cage to a play stand or something, and they poop along the way you can hold their tail down just a little bit, almost between his legs. Only do this for a short distance but for going up the stairs or a few rooms away, that works really well.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He knows the command, like when we are hanging out, I'll take him over to the cage and say poop, and he'll go. But lately, he'll fly to me, poop on me, like on purpose or something.
That sounds like a potty training going very wrong.
That is why I never potty train my birds. It's not natural...

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise went through a phase like that....I worked on the potty training, read some stuff that it can be harmful to potty train birds/causes prolapses.... so now I time her hold time/wait until after the morning load is released and bought 5 more bird shirts. easier to just do laundry given potty training wasn't going anywhere...pun intended..

carinlynchin

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carine
Thanks guys. I guess what I meant was that I heard it happens sometimes as well as sometimes they purposely poo on their not favorite person.... So I was wondering maybe he's mad at me...lol. .

Side note though...he's been grinding his beak a lot lately when he's relaxing ....anywhere. ..normal? What do they do that for? I remember a cockatoo I had that did the same thing...but not so grindy...sort of clicking...but his is definitely sliding like a person grinding their teeth.lol

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Grinding by anyone is a sign of relaxing, contentment and feeling safe. If you've ever had a cat, I'd compare it to a cat purring and doing that kneading thing they do with their paws. As for the pooping, if he's sitting on you most of the time then, I hate to tell you, you'll get pooped on the most because you are where he is. don't consider it an offense.

Macaw mom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Catherine
I hear that they don't poop on their favorite person...and yes, i know he is still a baby but I'm noticing a pattern. He knows the command, like when we are hanging out, I'll take him over to the cage and say poop, and he'll go. But lately, he'll fly to me, poop on me, like on purpose or something. I don't think its a coincedence, I can't explain it, but I feel it. He used to not do that, like if we were hanging out, and he pooped, no big deal, but lately he'll fly over to me and poop on me ......maybe its in my head, but it feels personal unlike it did in the past if he pooped on me
yes I'm having the same issue with my macaw Bigbie, he is toilet trained but this pooping on us is very new, he started by flying to my Partner then pooping, now all of a sudden i'm it. I know they will poop when they wake up or when out flying if he sees a predator he will empty his bowel that's a making themselves lighter in case they need to escape, but this is different, now its changed from my partner to me , we both have a fair equal bond with him we both had him since 2 months but i did the hand feeding as I'm the one with the experience raising macaw, he is 2 yrs. now, I'm thinking its more he is pooping on his favourite person which with us can change by the day,, i do all the training ,feeding cleaning etc. if i didn't i know my partner would be his person he just loves him where i have to work for the bond, which is fine i knew that was a possible outcome when taking him to hand feed, baby's always leave their mother for another. But this is different its like he is marking his person, they cant just pee on us ,like a dog might mark his home or person but i really would like to get to the bottom of this, i cant live under a blanket of shizz forever, obviously i will if i have to but again omg i'm literally covered in shizz today .. someone has to know more about what there thinking. oh ok this is years ago, did you figure out why in that time

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
yes I'm having the same issue with my macaw Bigbie, he is toilet trained but this pooping on us is very new, he started by flying to my Partner then pooping, now all of a sudden i'm it. I know they will poop when they wake up or when out flying if he sees a predator he will empty his bowel that's a making themselves lighter in case they need to escape, but this is different, now its changed from my partner to me , we both have a fair equal bond with him we both had him since 2 months but i did the hand feeding as I'm the one with the experience raising macaw, he is 2 yrs. now, I'm thinking its more he is pooping on his favourite person which with us can change by the day,, i do all the training ,feeding cleaning etc. if i didn't i know my partner would be his person he just loves him where i have to work for the bond, which is fine i knew that was a possible outcome when taking him to hand feed, baby's always leave their mother for another. But this is different its like he is marking his person, they cant just pee on us ,like a dog might mark his home or person but i really would like to get to the bottom of this, i cant live under a blanket of shizz forever, obviously i will if i have to but again omg i'm literally covered in shizz today .. someone has to know more about what there thinking. oh ok this is years ago, did you figure out why in that time
I have 7 large flighted macaws and an amazon. They are completely loose in my home about 7 hours daily. I would be shocked and completely offended if they crapped on me and I am the favorite person to about half of them. My husband would say the same to the other half. If your macaw is pooping on you, you are not paying enough attention. Spend some time reading your birds body language and you will know when they have to go potty. When my guys seem like they have to poop I send them flying off to their trees.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I had that attitude before they pooped on purpose but it wasn't a nice thing I don't believe. they did it out of anger from moving the cage that day. they sometimes poop outside the cage purposely or in the water to show dissatisfaction, the brain resemblance to human babies is insane. I was pooped on also during what seemed to be hormonal behavior not long ago. like he was pooping on his mate

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Nice to hear from you... How's Jeff?
he's been hormonal still but a lot better. I'm still changing many things everyday trying to improve something always, never perfection as you know. His feathers are returning on the chest. He has a few more feathers added in since the last pic and hasn't taken out any more thankfully. slowly returning to normal as far as looks for now. I'm working hard here with the hormones though. I even tried Hemp for birds, It worked a little. He doesn't yell too much beyond what is normal, what he does is rub his privates constantly on the bars or anything else he sees. He barely stands on the perches these days, just constantly on the move rubbing. I haven't really figured out a way to stop it and don't know if I even should. Maybe its relieves stress? lol