• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why has sprouting gone wrong..??

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Been sprouting these for 4 days and since day 3, they have started to turn pink/purple. Is this still ok to feed.? Why are they doing this.? Could I be rinsing too many times a day.? I do rinse them between every 2-6 hours to be sure that they aren't drying out

304374513_3329797847304621_6414220117299121737_n.jpg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Love that you are sprouting!
I'm about to start again. I did well for r awhile then had a mold problem freak me out..so stopped.

Unsure on yours...will like to see what others share

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s hard to tell from the photo. Have you tasted them? I only sprout mine for two days, and rinse and drain well four times a day. Four days seems like a long time to grow a little tail.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
They look fine to me. Light levels can make a difference to colour. Some of my mung beans can have purple tails too. I rinse mine twice a day, but they are covered inside a sprouter so don't lose too much moisture.

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Thanks everyone. Only started sprouting 2 weeks ago. Started just with their everyday seed mix but wanted to try a different mix to their everyday seeds. They have loved it. One refuses to eat dry food in the morning now haha Will try only rinsing 2-4 times a day and see if that's why this happened. Haven't tasted them. On the packaging, it says ready to eat in 5-7 days. I usually see around 3 so did give them some then. That's good to know it is still ok to feed.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Do these sprouts smell off?? Taste bad? I've been sprouting for around 6 years. The pink on the tail of your sprouts might be the variety of the seed (same species as in most mixes, but different variety). I usually do the initial soak for about 8-9 hours (overnight), then do the sprouting for about 2 days (with a rinse in the morning and a rinse in the evening). Mine have tails about half as long as the ones in the picture. Legumes seem to take longer than grains to sprout (my birds don't care for legumes...so I rarely sprout them). I get all of my supplies from sproutpeople.com, they're located in San Francisco CA.
If your sprouts smell fine and taste fine, they're probably fine for your birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks everyone. Only started sprouting 2 weeks ago. Started just with their everyday seed mix but wanted to try a different mix to their everyday seeds. They have loved it. One refuses to eat dry food in the morning now haha Will try only rinsing 2-4 times a day and see if that's why this happened. Haven't tasted them. On the packaging, it says ready to eat in 5-7 days. I usually see around 3 so did give them some then. That's good to know it is still ok to feed.
What seed mix are you using?

It’s not recommended to sprout fortified seed which many seed mixes are.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Agree, I only use human grade sold for sprouting .

There are some soak and simmer parrot mixes sold by various brands. I've tried Volcman..
Or like this

Last edited:

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
They kind of smell like apples, the same as when I first soaked them. Even though the Adzuki beans and chickpeas, don't really have a tail after 3 days,would they still be ok to feed at that point? The seed mix I use is versele laga prestige and it has red/yellow/white millet, canary seed, hulled oats, buckwheat, striped/white sunflower, safflower, rapeseed, hemp seed, linseed, paddy rice, niger seed and japanese millet...is this ok to use for sprouting.? I start giving after the first night of soaking...is this ok.?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They kind of smell like apples, the same as when I first soaked them. Even though the Adzuki beans and chickpeas, don't really have a tail after 3 days,would they still be ok to feed at that point? The seed mix I use is versele laga prestige and it has red/yellow/white millet, canary seed, hulled oats, buckwheat, striped/white sunflower, safflower, rapeseed, hemp seed, linseed, paddy rice, niger seed and japanese millet...is this ok to use for sprouting.? I start giving after the first night of soaking...is this ok.?
I am not familiar with the product, it’s not available where I live- if it’s fortified then it should not be used for sprouting.

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
I'm not sure what fortified means. This is the food...

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Fortified means with added vitamins and minerals. Usually, if some of the seeds look artificially colored (usually red and green) then they've had vitamins sprayed on. You need to used seeds and grains suitable for human consumption. I just read the ingredient list on your mix and it looks okay. FYI...it takes a while for safflower seeds to sprout (about 5-7 days). I've heard the hemp seed doesn't sprout at all (my birds love it dry). I would keep the peanuts out of the sprout mix...too much mold danger. Sprouting is a VERY nutritious food to add to their diet. sproutpeople.com website has a lot of information on how to sprout (for free) that you may want to consult.

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Thanks. They tend to dip some of their seed in their water then eat it, maybe to soften it so that's the reason I started soaking their seeds. I feed the day after soaking and the next day. I don't soak the peanuts. They are starting to not love their dry seed mix so do need to find a new dry mix for them to have daily and also try more sprouting seeds. I will have a look at the website. thank you