• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Why does my lovebird do this?

NataliaR

Moving in
Real Name
Natalia Reece
Hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum and fairly new to keeping birds. I’ve had my lovebird Mango since last December. I got her from a pet store which clearly did not hand raise her so she was untamed and startled easily. I have managed to tame her and she will happily sit on my shoulders for hours. She is unclipped and fully flighted, but she has started making some pretty weird sounds and I can’t seem to find the answer as to why she’s doing them. Sometimes she does them when she’s in her cage and my mum (who she hates) is pestering her and will lunge at her, but other times she’s on my shoulder just sitting there all chill.

My first guess was that is was a threatening behaviour but now I’m unsure because she does it to me when she’s perched on me, and when I look at her, she starts preening my nose without biting me. She could easily fly away if she felt threatened so I’m confused. Does anybody else know?

Here’s a video of her doing it on my shoulder:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Others know better what that sound is but my little 5 month old will sometimes make a similar noise when she is nervous, unsure of the situation.

NataliaR

Moving in
Real Name
Natalia Reece
Others know better what that sound is but my little 5 month old will sometimes make a similar noise when she is nervous, unsure of the situation.
I was thinking it could be something like that, but we were doing something we routinely do and she seemed quite comfortable before and after, preening her and myself. Thanks!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I was thinking it could be something like that, but we were doing something we routinely do and she seemed quite comfortable before and after, preening her and myself. Thanks!
Yeah, mine doesnt do it it quite as long as yours does in the video, 2-3 seconds at most. Is anything going on in the room or are you doing anything when she starts the noise? Maybe texting on a cell phone, any little thing? Mizzely could be right since you stated that she does it right before she starts to preen you, maybe trying to get your attention.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I think Mizzley is correct..........my two boys do that to each other as they kind of dance around each other. they both have done it to me as well when I am physically close to them and talking to them. Yes, I hear that noise all the time from mine and I think they are happy and maybe some mating behavior, but I don't think fear or anxiety.

NataliaR

Moving in
Real Name
Natalia Reece
Yeah, mine doesnt do it it quite as long as yours does in the video, 2-3 seconds at most. Is anything going on in the room or are you doing anything when she starts the noise? Maybe texting on a cell phone, any little thing? Mizzely could be right since you stated that she does it right before she starts to preen you, maybe trying to get your attention.
I see, yeah I was on my phone for a while so maybe she was trying to get my attention. I know for a fact she’s not scared of my phone, and would jump on my phone if it was close enough to her. Thanks for the help!

NataliaR

Moving in
Real Name
Natalia Reece
I think Mizzley is correct..........my two boys do that to each other as they kind of dance around each other. they both have done it to me as well when I am physically close to them and talking to them. Yes, I hear that noise all the time from mine and I think they are happy and maybe some mating behavior, but I don't think fear or anxiety.
Ok great thank you! I was worried she was angry because she would make that noise and then lunge at my mum intending to bite her when she’s bothering her. Sort of a warning noise. But thanks!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
This is also the only time I have heard my boys make that noise, when they are reguriating or getting intimate with a toy:) but it could be something else! Perhaps asking attention like you Said. @fluffypoptarts @Garet

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
That's a matting sound for sure. Sorry for being the barer of bad news but she's looking for her mate. When they really get going they chirp and sound like they are on fast forward. Gracie gets loud when she's feeling amorous.

BeebeesMom

Strolling the yard
My Beebee does this too. I think he is feeling frisky :swoon:. He has started to do this while on my shoulder lately. Im hoping he isnt starting to consider me his mate :sad8: . He is 2 and has only been doing it to his favorite bell. He definitely isnt stressed or nervous when he does it.