• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why does he keep doing this?

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum

Here's a video explaining what I'm talking about !

Recently, my budgie has been acting really funny with my door, he keeps chirping and trying to fly nearby it or something. I thought it was because of my mirror hanging on the door, so I decided to cover it with a blanket (as you see in the video). However, he still kept going, so I decided to remove the mirror entirely to see if his behavior changed. But nope, he still continues to chirp at the door and try to fly at it.

I can't tell if he's curious or anxious about something because whenever I get him on my finger and take him to the door, he doesn't try anything...I haven't taught him how to get to the other rooms of my house yet so he's only familiar with my room (and has never tried to explore the other rooms before, though he did go into my parent's room and fell behind the headboard out of panic). So i don't know what to make out of this. I thought maybe its his abandonment issues kicking in because I got him during COVID times so when i was in my room most of the day, but now I've been trying to go out and do other things,,, he chirps whenever someone leaves or uses the door to go.

It's getting a bit frustrating because he keeps chirping at it and I don't know what to do, I could try installing a perch onto the door and see if that helps but I honestly am not sure how to exactly do that yet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He wants out of the room. He cant get much flying exercise in there. Can you move his cage to a larger room with more places to explore? Maybe a bird stand too. why do you have him restricted to one room?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally think a perch up there may help.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
He wants out of the room. He cant get much flying exercise in there. Can you move his cage to a larger room with more places to explore? Maybe a bird stand too. why do you have him restricted to one room?
i could try moving his cage into different places and see if that does something for him but not gonna lie my house layout is pretty weird and hazardous so that’s why i mainly kept him in my room. the one time he did try to fly out, he ended up getting stuck behind my parent’s bed head board so that’s why i’m trying to figure out a better way to get him explore without him accidentally falling somewhere. in my old home, with my previous budgies, i’d always put the cage in the living room because it’s super spacious but my mom now refuses the idea with this house because she doesn’t want a “mess” anymore. i’m used to my previous budgies being more adventurous and flying out n bout because of the advantage of living in one floor home, that i don’t know how to show him that he can fly the first and second floor as he pleases in this “new” house. we are also renovating the living room at the moment so i would try to take his cage at least down there to explore the living room a bit but probably after we finish renovating.

harum.t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
harum
I personally think a perch up there may help.
ah yeah was thinking that too, just unsure how to install one up there because i do have perches, but not ones that can stick to door/walls unfortunately