• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do we use aluminum free baking powder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Why do we use aluminum free baking powder for our birdie bread? I know that zinc and lead are bad for the fids but aluminum? Most of the recipes that I see say aluminum free baking powder and I always wonder why. Its not that I'm going to switch to regular baking powder now, I'm just curious.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont use baking powder:confused::confused: Sorry I can't be of any help.

I typically just mix:

1 cup crushed flax seed
Corn bred 1/2-1cup a cup of corn bred OR: Brazilian Blend of Goldenfeast (and if I use this I do not use corn bred or crushed flax seed) 2 cups
1 1/2 cups of blended veggies
1/2 cup of chopped veggies
1/2 cup of dried fruit
Unsweetened Applesauce, 1-2cups, depending on how much Im making

And those are the only ingredients I have ever used.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
aluminum is not necessary for a healthy diet

in humans, excess aluminum consumption, through foods and/or cooking has been thought to contribute to Alzheimer's

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
O, that is interesting! We use aluminum free baking powder also, for ourselves and my fids. My mom told me about that a while back, GG, my of course, I forgot it, LOL!

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
What's the purpose of having aluminum in baking powder anyways?I use aluminum free baking powder and I have never noticed any difference in it's ability to work as a leavener.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
it's something they started doing years and years ago - not sure why

there is no difference in it's ability!!

I use aluminum free here too (don't need any help losing my mind :lol: )

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"Baking Powder Design

While a variety of baking powders are available, all of them meet basic standards and generate almost identical amounts of carbon dioxide. The basic difference between all types is the reaction time. There are two categories of baking powders: single acting and double acting.

Single-acting baking powders immediately produce most of their gas when mixed with a liquid. They are classified by the type of acid they utilize. Those that contain cream of tartar and tartaric acid (C4H606) create gas rapidly when mixed with baking soda and a liquid. These batters must be cooked quickly or they will go flat. Slower single-acting baking powders are phosphate baking powders that contain either calcium phosphate (Ca3O8P2) or disodium pyrophosphate (H2Na2O7P2). Aluminum sulfate (AI2012S3) powders react more slowly at room temperature but give a bitter taste to the batter.

Most commercial baking powders are double-acting. These means that initially a small amount of gas is released when it is mixed with a liquid. The primary generation of gas occurs when the batter is heated during cooking. These types of powders allow a batter to be left in an unbaked condition for long periods of time. Often double-acting baking powders have two acids, one which reacts immediately and one that reacts when heated.

A less often used third type of baking powder is baker's ammonia. It results in a light, airy product but can impart an ammonia flavor if not used properly. It is best used in the production of flat cookies, helping to dissipate the ammonia odor during cooking."

So, no aluminum, less bitter taste....I like that.

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.