• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do they sing in the dark?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are some bird in my area and they sing at a weird time. It is a beautiful song. I noticed it the other week leaving work at 3am there were birds singing in the port and last night I couldn´t sleep and we had the window wide open and at 3.30 am there were the same birds singing the beautiful song... but it is pitch black... so why are they singing? I wish I recorded them now. I will leave my window open tonight and listen out for them and try to record them.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I know that birds like to know where others of their flock or species are sometimes, so maybe they are just letting the others know where they are settling in for the night? Lol

or maybe it’s a few mamas calling for their partners to come back to switch out :0

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Interesting. Maybe...

If it had been at 5am I would get it... but 3.30 seems odd. The sing a lot and very melodic, like something off a disney film :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The American Robin starts singing around 3AM in the USA during spring & summer. Not all birds sleep 10-12 hours. Some only a few hours. Some birds are nocturnal. You'd need to research the birds in your country & see if you can figure out what bird it is.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
we've had an unusual winter here so far. Some days in the 60's-70 ( last night was down in the upper 20's). The birds are flying around and chirping calls to potential mates on the warmer days thinking spring has sprung. The mockingbirds are singing away in the wee hours when it's still dark out. They do this every year.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There is a bird here that sings starting midnight etc to 2 AM 3AM etc...very late & odd.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Two nights in a row when I was in the Crimson room I had the tv on and heard something odd. I turned the volume down and it was a BIG owl either sitting on top of the roof of their room or just in one of the trees right behind the house. Like, Great horned owl big. Such a deep hooting and stayed for quite a while. Pretty cool!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I Was right when I first heard about him I thought of nightingales sorry I didn’t get to this earlier to help you out

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wild birds can sing anytime in the whole day of twenty four hours. So we can say mainly the birds that sing during night is because of the disturbance which can be because of winds, rain, predators or the light which they take as the day.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lucky you - I just have Vulpine Sex Party happening under my window. I've chosen to think of them as an experimental harsh noise band.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Lucky you - I just have Vulpine Sex Party happening under my window. I've chosen to think of them as an experimental harsh noise band.
I just spit out coffee all over my shirt reading this :rofl:

:lol: @tka !
The doves get busy on the balcony, but they do it quietly :)
So you really are a Full Service Food Farm:lol: