• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why do people hate harrison’s?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When I got her, Jasper was a pure junk food junkie. She had been given everything she liked and nothing that was good for her for the first six years of her life. Things like bacon, ice cream, buttered bread, chips , steak and my how she loved Fritos. She had atherosclerosis, severe atherosclerosis, due to that diet and malnutrition. Dr. and I talked this over and decided on a diet for her going forward (very lean and heavy on green veggies and pellets). But Dr. said one thing to me that I have never forgotten and that was that for Jasper, life was not worth living without a Frito now and then. She got a Frito every now and then. Life really isn't worthwhile without the special things we love - ever.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
When I got her, Jasper was a pure junk food junkie. She had been given everything she liked and nothing that was good for her for the first six years of her life. Things like bacon, ice cream, buttered bread, chips , steak and my how she loved Fritos. She had atherosclerosis, severe atherosclerosis, due to that diet and malnutrition. Dr. and I talked this over and decided on a diet for her going forward (very lean and heavy on green veggies and pellets). But Dr. said one thing to me that I have never forgotten and that was that for Jasper, life was not worth living without a Frito now and then. She got a Frito every now and then. Life really isn't worthwhile without the special things we love - ever.
agreed, wem used to like sneaking into the cabinets and stealing licks of holly ranchers LMAO

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Treats are good for everyone, in moderation. My budgies won't eat Harrison's or any other pellet, unfortunately, but I've heard they are good.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves Harrison’s! We got some a while back to try, he seems to think they’re as good as nuts so we will buy them again even though they’re a ridiculously expensive option :laugh:

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Burt loves Harrison’s! We got some a while back to try, he seems to think they’re as good as nuts so we will buy them again even though they’re a ridiculously expensive option :laugh:
definitely!! i find that getting 3 one pound bag makes it easier, the five pound is a bit big and goes stale before i can use it all!!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thought i would add some feedback regarding Harrisons - i tried Mojo with three pellets when transitioning her i wanted her to be eating a few types of pellets in case of availabilty issues etc.
She didnt entertain Labafer tropical so i bought Harrisons high potency pepper as the third pellet .
She appears to now only be eating the Harrisons and ignoring the pretty bird small bird and the roudybush daily maintenance that she was eating.

I am going to buy some Harrisons high potency and see how she go's with that its a bit frustrating that she appears to have stopped eating two pellets she was eating but i guess thats a endorsment for the Harrisons even though it doesn't fit my plan of multiple pellets.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I tried Harrison's for months and none my birds never touched the pellets. I started very gradually with Harrison's by tapering out old pellets and added more Harrison's. My birds would rather starve than eat Harrison's, so I gave up. :shrug3:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I tried Harrison's for months and none my birds never touched the pellets. I started very gradually with Harrison's by tapering out old pellets and added more Harrison's. My birds would rather starve than eat Harrison's, so I gave up. :shrug3:
Mine wouldn’t touch it either.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
my girl picked it up right away, i tried the zupreem naturals before that just like the way you described and she would toss them at me, birds have super strong preferences i suppose :p

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
my girl picked it up right away, i tried the zupreem naturals before that just like the way you described and she would toss them at me, birds have super strong preferences i suppose :p
I bet there preferences in the wild arent as strong i reckon to a degree they do there best to dictate what they want

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
definitely!! i find that getting 3 one pound bag makes it easier, the five pound is a bit big and goes stale before i can use it all!!
Take what you'll use in a month, and put that in a container. Store the rest in the freezer. :) That's what I do.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I bet there preferences in the wild arent as strong...
I don't know about that. Growing up, I lived in a house with a peach tree in the yard, and if you wanted to find the best peaches, all you had to do was look for the ones the wild birds had munched on. They selected their produce as carefully as a Michelin chef at a farmer's market.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I don't know about that. Growing up, I lived in a house with a peach tree in the yard, and if you wanted to find the best peaches, all you had to do was look for the ones the wild birds had munched on. They selected their produce as carefully as a Michelin chef at a farmer's market.
that’s too cute!! they’re full of character!!

Zeejane

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sara
Harrison’s was the first pellet we tried (our AV sells it and really pushes it). Our Amazon absolutely refused to eat it and after several wasted bags worth of trying, we just gave up on it. I would never say it’s a bad product though, it just wasn’t a good fit for us.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Probably because it is expensive. And it contains corn soy and peanuts.

Still better than the corn soy wheat by product combo most other brands are.

It is probably one of the better foods out there along with TOPS. Or caitec oven fresh bites.