• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Why do my cockatiel boys do this often?

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
Hello all,

This is Lemon Chicken (right) and Pepper chicken (left). They’re both 4 years old and have been with each other their entire lives. They have never hurt each other or got in a “real fight” but they do this often. What is this? Is this play fighting? Why do they do this?

Here’s the video link of them doing this:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aww very cute! Not play fighting at all; they're feeding each other (regurgitating food) - it's a mating behaviour. Mated pairs will feed each other regurgitated food as part of their "rituals". Usually it's the boy in a boy/girl pair who will do the feeding (their instincts tell them that in preparation for having babies when the dad would bring the mom food while she takes care of the young) but in same-sex pairs either one bird will take the role or they can take turns.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's also just bond building in flocks. Caring is sharing, as Ripshod says, lol!

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's also just bond building in flocks. Caring is sharing, as Ripshod says, lol!
That's true; my budgie boys share food and they're not really a bonded pair. I'd say these tiels look pretty lovey though lol between the semi-crouching, the squeaking, and how much food is being shared.

RobMenace1995

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Roberto
I’ve had them since they were 6 weeks old. But they’ve always done this. This entire time I thought they were play fighting lol because I never saw any food on their beaks.