• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why did I have to look?!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I feel like I've been going insane over the past two weeks. I've been poring over cockatoo threads, reading about behavioral issues, heck I've been looking into the finite details of my financial future. All because I did the one thing I should never do. I looked up "cockatoo" on craigslist. And I found these two boys, Mickey and Houdini, two long-billed corellas. Both with no toys and in awful cages, one in a cage that's hardly twice his size and covered in rust.
Now I know it's idiotic to adopt these two, me not even in college, living with my parents, and having never owned a parrot before. But I feel I have to do something for these two, their conditions are simply too horrible. I wanted to go on here to ask an opinion of everyone about what I should do. If I should take them to a rescue, ask around for anyone who could adopt them, or something else I haven't thought of. I was thinking of trying to ask my parents to take them in so we could surrender them to a rescue, because I doubt their current owners will. If I can convince my parents to do so, how would I go about doing this? I know I should of course contact the rescue about surrendering them first but I doubt they'll be able to take them in immediately. So what would I do in the time being? Should I even try? If anyone wants to see the ad or wants to adopt them I could also add a link or message it to you (if that's allowed, I apologize if it's not).
I never should've looked, now I feel obligated to do something for them. As much as I'd love to take them in myself, I know that'd be a disaster waiting to happen. I need some advice and I felt it would be best to consult the forum here and see what I can do to get these birds safe.
These are pictures of the two poor guys, by the way:

Attachments

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Oh how heartwrenching. :( I hope these two find the homes they deserve.
You can try calling rescues in your area to see if they can take them, but would you be able to foot the rehoming fees?

Craigslist is a dangerous place to look. Seems there's always something shady going on there. :shifty: Me, I was innocently searching cages and playstands for a potential good deal. Then shortly after I was doing this against the steering wheel of my car as I drove home with MT in the passenger seat: :bash:

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
You can try calling rescues in your area to see if they can take them, but would you be able to foot the rehoming fees?

Craigslist is a dangerous place to look. Seems there's always something shady going on there.
We would be able to foot the rehoming fee, it's not super expensive considering the two birds they're selling (sad to think of that honestly). The main issue would be convincing my parents to spend it for two birds we're going to pass onto a rescue soon after. Plus the money for vets, temporary cages, and toys
for two parrots that won't be with us long. We do have several very reputable rescues nearby so I don't worry about that aspect.
I believe the ad is legitimate, I can always call or text the phone number to get rid of any doubt.
I really hope they can find their way into a home that will give them the TLC (and vet care) they need, too. And hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I think that's probably the best option. I wish you could call local spca, thou some spcas are woefully inadequate to deal with birds, because those pictures scream neglect to me. Especially the first picture. It shouldn't be legal to keep a bird that size in such a small cage (unless advised be a vet because of mobility issues or something)

We would be able to foot the rehoming fee, it's not super expensive considering the two birds they're selling (sad to think of that honestly). The main issue would be convincing my parents to spend it for two birds we're going to pass onto a rescue soon after. Plus the money for vets, temporary cages, and toys
for two parrots that won't be with us long. We do have several very reputable rescues nearby so I don't worry about that aspect.
I believe the ad is legitimate, I can always call or text the phone number to get rid of any doubt.
I really hope they can find their way into a home that will give them the TLC (and vet care) they need, too. And hopefully sooner rather than later.
I understand it could be seen a wasted money by your parents, I'm not sure how you could convince them otherwise. Maybe ask they do as a Christmas present? I dunno... You're a sensitive soul :bluhug: I admired that and think the world could use more people like you. I hope something can be done to help these two birds. I wish you all the best with it.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I understand it could be seen a wasted money by your parents, I'm not sure how you could convince them otherwise. Maybe ask they do as a Christmas present? I dunno... You're a sensitive soul :bluhug: I admired that and think the world could use more people like you. I hope something can be done to help these two birds. I wish you all the best with it.
The Christmas present idea could possibly work, maybe a (very) late birthday, even. I think taking them to a rescue is best as well, I hope I can convince my parents. Thank you both for responding and for the well wishes, my mind has just been racing so much that I needed to be sure I was thinking clearly over all of this.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I second the christmas present idea......if my kids had asked me for this kind of gift for christmas there is no way I could have said no to them. What a compassionate caring soul you are, the world certainly needs more people like you in it :)

I wish you well in your efforts to help these poor birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you could get them out of that horrible situation and to a rescue, that would be wonderful. You're a wonderful person for wanting to help them. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Depending on where you are (state wise) I know we have a couple of members who work in/with rescues and may be able give you pointers too. @webchirp @Jenphilly @Birdbabe
Thank you for trying to save them, they look like they'll definitely need it.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would contact whichever rescue you plan to place them with and let them know you are willing to do their vetting up front. That is a huge cost savings for the rescue and perhaps you can provide their quarantine period. I don't know that we see those kinds of too's very often. Maybe you could foster for the rescue if they are full and have no room. There are a few options perhaps. :hug8:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You are so sweet to want to help Mickey and Houdini! I so hope it works out and you are able to adopt, or find a great home for them! :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@BirdField

You're awesome. Maybe the forum will adopt YOU!

I'll add you to my prayers. Who knows, maybe if you rescue them your parents will fall in love with them before the rescue takes them in and everyone will live happily ever after.....

That's what happened to us. We never intended to be the owners of amazons. I talked to a few people, we rescued the parrots, fell in love, THEN started the research. Male, blue front, wild caught amazons aren't the usual birds taken in by first timers.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I would contact whichever rescue you plan to place them with and let them know you are willing to do their vetting up front. That is a huge cost savings for the rescue and perhaps you can provide their quarantine period. I don't know that we see those kinds of too's very often. Maybe you could foster for the rescue if they are full and have no room. There are a few options perhaps. :hug8:
Yes, I would love to pay for their vets, I know that tends to be one of the biggest expenses for most rescues. I think the rescues would appreciate our bird-less home for a quarantine period, anything to help all those amazing volunteers! Fostering would be ideal, my parents may not believe the money would be so wasted at least. They'll be able to understand what amazing souls it's going to help. I would definitely need some help from the forum with their care, I'd end up on here every day, not that I'm complaining!
Can you repay your parents?
That would be a good way to convince them. I should try to ask them if I can be in their debt for a while, it'd definitely be worth getting those two out of their current situation. I sure hope I can convince them.
I'll add you to my prayers. Who knows, maybe if you rescue them your parents will fall in love with them before the rescue takes them in and everyone will live happily ever after.....
Oh man, I wish! If they're fully on board with the idea then maybe... I'm worried I'd end up being the wrong home for them since I'm so young. Sure, they'd matter to me more than anything, I'd never want to give them up, but I worry I may come across an unforeseen situation that would throw everything off-wack and end up hurting them more than helping. But having all of you guys at the forum gives me some hope, even if we don't adopt them, that they'll end up in a good home.

Thank you all again for all the help! So many great ideas, not to mention plenty of confidence when it comes to bringing them up with my parents. Thank you for all of the well wishes, this is truly helping me clear my mind to think.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Alright, I just spoke with my mom for a bit about these two. As much as I was holding out hope about at least taking them in before a rescue, she doesn't think my dad could handle a cockatoo (much less two) and she's probably right about that. We want everyone in the house completely on board.
BUT she did agree to pick them up and be a part of a "birdie train" to rehome them! She also said she'd be happy to foot the rehoming cost and even buy a good cage! It's not what I was thinking of but it'd be perfect if anyone on here is in the position to adopt them both. It'd much more direct than a rescue and I trust would have much more experience than our house.
Don't want to pressure anyone, but is anyone in the position to adopt them? Nothing is final at this point but my mom really does want to help, she just doesn't think that our home would be right for them (which it probably isn't), even if only for a time on a rescue's waiting list. I don't know how far she'd be willing to travel or if anyone else would be available to help so this is still very early in-the-works. The birds are in Arkansas to give an idea of travel time. Just posting this to update and get an idea of who could adopt or help get them adopted.
This may also change if my dad miraculously believes it is a good idea, but if someone on here is ready to adopt, I'd definitely choose that over any rescue waiting list or our inexperienced home.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
You are amazing!! Thank you so much for coordinating their rescue! Perhaps you can try making a thread on the rehome section and see if anyone responds? Wishing you all the best with them and finding them new homes :heart:

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
You are amazing!! Thank you so much for coordinating their rescue! Perhaps you can try making a thread on the rehome section and see if anyone responds? Wishing you all the best with them and finding them new homes :heart:
I'll do that right now, thanks for the idea! I hope someone out there can give them a new home!