• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are Vasas so rare?

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I've been wondering about this for a while...

Why are Vasas so rare? Is it because they're difficult to breed? I've always assumed that was the case, yet it seems like people just aren't interested in owning then either. People just are not enthusiastic about the breed, which is a shame.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes that is a shame. It's the same thing with Pionus maximiliani in Sweden. In fact almost none know what kind of parrot that is.
But for the Vasa perhaps that is a combination between difficult to breed, loud parrot and plain color. (and that they also are very special in other ways)
Maximiliani is difficult to breed and also have plain colors and are not good talkers. We don't have any breeders for them in Sweden.
So instead of looking what you get when you own a Maxi (or a Vasa) most people are looking at what you don't get. Sad because Maxis is awesome family members.

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
Yes that is a shame. It's the same thing with Pionus maximiliani in Sweden. In fact almost none know what kind of parrot that is.
But for the Vasa perhaps that is a combination between difficult to breed, loud parrot and plain color. (and that they also are very special in other ways)
Maximiliani is difficult to breed and also have plain colors and are not good talkers. We don't have any breeders for them in Sweden.
So instead of looking what you get when you own a Maxi (or a Vasa) most people are looking at what you don't get. Sad because Maxis is awesome family members.
It's interesting because if I could get any bird it would be a Pionus! I really love their look and personalities. I would love to one day get another Vasa, but it will not be for many many many years. They're really great birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like Vasas but, you are right, they are not easy to find. I think the Feather Tree used to breed them but not at this time. I was considering one several years ago (as well as a few other species).
Maybe it's the coloring because they don't have the vibrancy of most parrots although they are vibrant in their own way. I think they are interesting.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I never heard of them before the other one on the forum I think died in an accident.
They sure are beautiful & sort or prehistoric looking but did not know they were so loud...Guess they are not for me...& pionus are on my list...

I like dark birds...

MeinRabe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kay
I never heard of them before the other one on the forum I think died in an accident.
They sure are beautiful & sort or prehistoric looking but did not know they were so loud...Guess they are not for me...& pionus are on my list...

I like dark birds...
They don't vocalize often, but I could hear obi across the street when he wanted to be loud. That was very rare.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's OK...thought maybe they were like a sun conure. yap yap all day....