• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are they so hard to find??

Laura25

Moving in
Hi Everyone, I have a question about CAGs. Why are they literally impossible to find and their prices have skyrocketed?!? (the two are clearly related!) I have two older Greys myself, and was surprised when a friend was telling me that she couldn’t find one, just tons and tons of scams, on Craigslist and on Birds Now, birdbreeders site. Where are all the reputable Grey breeders? She can’t even find any available in rescue! So what gives? Anyone else notice this?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are a few reasons. Many breeders have stopped breeding due to the severe increase in legislation to end breeding. Also, the wild caught African greys were much better breeders than most of the captive bred birds are proving to be.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That, and the fact that many people have decided to add a pet to their lives during COVID. JC Aviary in Texas has 4 or 5 baby Congos now.

Laura25

Moving in
Thanks, I actually have a bird from Jean, and she’s wonderful! JC aviary has baby Greys for $6,500!! When did this become their price? Yikes! Also what is the new legislation regarding breedinG? I wasn’t aware of that. Interesting about the wild caught birds aging out of breeding. So glad that’s illegal now. It’s probably a good thing that fewer people can access Greys actually, since not many people are equipped to care for them properly. But I was just curious as to the reason, because I remember when Greys were like $800 on Craigslist!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yikes! Also what is the new legislation regarding breedinG? I wasn’t aware of that.
Aside from changing laws, groups are trying to add many species of parrots to the ESA so that they can no longer be sold across state lines. Not only does this impede breeders from finding owners for their birds, it also locks in the blood lines to the states that they exist in before the regulation takes place.

Laura25

Moving in
I had no idea. What is the ESA? Excuse my ignorance! There is definitely a need for good, ethical breeders who screen prospective owners carefully and stand behind their babies. It’s too bad that good breeders are being hurt by all of this.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Back in the day I paid Jean $800. for a 3 month old Timneh grey. The bird was totally weaned, eating veggies and very healthy.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The prices in AZ have gone from $1500 a few years ago to $4000 now. There is a high demand for them and I spoke to a local breeder who said he had a waiting list and deposits for all of their possible 2021 babies. I remember reading something about the CITIES treaty changing in 2019. I think it stopped the flow of wild-bred chicks into the pet trade and removed about 10 thousand birds a year from the market. Availability went down, prices went up.

I have one breeding pair that can't seem to get their pieces and parts together for fertilization, and I'm trying to acquire more, but it's just as hard for breeders because no one wants to sell breeding age pairs while they can still make money from them.

kvee

Moving in
I've been trying to find one myself :( It's pretty disheartening how none are available at breeders or rescues. I'm finding breeders/stores/etc I call aren't even taking reservations. I've been really hoping to snag a Grey and I've been setting up a cage, toys, training equipment, etc, but no bird.

Happy to drop the 4-5k but that doesn't help when there aren't any around. I'm also trying to do local pickup only to avoid getting scammed, as a couple of places I've contacted ended up being pretty obvious scams once I got to talking to them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Jcaviaries was advertising grey babies about a week ago on Instagram.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think covid is to blame. This can be seen across the whole ”pet business” because many people “suddenly” want a pet now that they are forced to stay at home. Ofcourse part will be due to “demand & supply” but i also talked to a dog breeder who explained that, by raising the price, they “weed out” the covid buyers, the people who want a dog because they are at home, not thinking about what happens after the pandemic ends. I assume some breeders will feel the same. Raise the price soonly the people who are genuine will buy a parrot still.

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
There have been 2-4 greys at my local rescue for the last year, though a couple of them just got adopted (yay!). I’m not ready for another bird just yet but I’m very curious whether there will be more showing up in rescue over the next year as people who got covid pets go back to working outside the home.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If anyone lives near or in Colorado contact the Gabriel Foundation. If on the east south east coast up to Md. contact the Phoenix Landing. Both are excellent rescues to adopt birds.

You are being redirected...

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One of my CAGS came from Rainforest Aviaries in San Diego. I believe he still has a few babies left. He's the head bird keeper for the San Diego Zoo and really knows his stuff. I believe he still ships.

kvee

Moving in
One of my CAGS came from Rainforest Aviaries in San Diego. I believe he still has a few babies left. He's the head bird keeper for the San Diego Zoo and really knows his stuff. I believe he still ships.
I just spoke with him and the babies on his website are sold :( He said to try back next month as he has some eggs being sat on right now.