• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

why are my lovebirds always puffed up, but i never see their tail bobbing? what does it mean?

kaykay7984

Checking out the neighborhood
OKAY I MAY BE DRAMATIC OR SOMETHING & SORRY THIS IS LONG BUThave these two love bird my parents got me “ as a surprise “ , i love them but it was just an sudden and i hadn’t learned anything about them, i just started trying to feed them correctly in february & had since oct. i still can’t manage to get them to like vegetables bc i accidentally made them seed & pellet addicts but that’s another thing i’ll ask on later but the left is kermie & right is blue. ( both females * as of what i was told * ) 69EA4E72-9EE0-451A-A6D8-0CCAED69AB07.jpeg 0228C368-AFB4-4968-B84B-2337738A844B.jpeg i’ve been very concerned on the way they always sit there , all puffed up & blue ( when i’m around at least ) is slowly blinking, that’s how they spend most of their days. they have toys and stuff but they just don’t seem to want to do anything, but when they come out i have this foraging tray i made and they are always playing it in. & sometimes they’ll only do that sitting there being puffed up thing when i try to sit by their cage till i move. so i’m just SO CONFUSED on if they may be ill , bc if they are i will definitely take them to see someone ! or do they just not like me ( they aren’t even hand tamed ! IVE BEEN TRYING FOR MONTHS :( ! ).ANY TIPS WOULD BE GREST BUT IF IM BEING DRAMATIC PLS JUST TELL ME

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
pellet addicts
Nothing wrong with liking pellets :) It´s great they eat them and get all the vitamins they need. Which brand do you use?

Are your birds clipped?
Sounds like they don´t know how to play. Try foraging activities/toys.
My pairs do like to spend some times a day hanging out with their mate and just sitting, they will nap too.

How big is your cage? in cm or inches.

they aren’t even hand tamed ! IVE BEEN TRYING FOR MONTHS :( !
It could take you quite some time, it is always harder with pairs.

kaykay7984

Checking out the neighborhood
thank you sm for replying ! i don’t know off the top of my head how big their cage is , i’ll show a picture. image.jpg it’s two cages i put together bc i had gotten the black one when i first got them which ik isn’t the correct size but they were a surprise it came with them, so it was hard to be prepared. the pink one at the bottom was just sitting around and i don’t have the money to buy a big expensive one , ( but i will be soon) so i thought it’d be better than just that one area, they love flying up around at the bottom bc it’s empty so i keep it like that . no they are not clipped nor never been & i’ll definitely try getting them some foraging toys . that’s great the hear that they are fine with the pellets , but they do need vegetables correct? i’m still going to keep trying to get them to like them but i just wanna know if it should be a big worry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
that’s great the hear that they are fine with the pellets , but they do need vegetables correct?
If the pellets care complete, then veggies are just a bonus :) Great if they will eat them, but don´t stree too badly if they don´t. They could grow to liking the veggies in time.

See how you get on with foraging. Your birds might also like some noise making toys; bells or things that jingle. You can make things with beads if funds are tight.