• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are Caiques really hard to find in the united states?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Is there biting from being hand raised or like being older and adopted?
Biting is a form of communication and birds that bite are usually trying to tell you something. Things like, I don't want you that close, I'm scared or that's mine and you should not touch it. Most bites are proceeded by other less aggressive communications such as moving away, pushing your hand away, turning away, eye pinning, raised feathers on the nape of the neck or vocalizations. The bird is communicating but if it is ignored or not understood then they will escalate to biting. Biting is often results in the human leaving or giving up so the bird learns to bite.

Most caiques that bite have be taught to do so (often unknowingly) by their humans.

If caiques are worse than other birds at this (I am not convinced that they are) then it is because they tend to be high strung, boisterous, know what they want and not willing to give in.

You can not convince a caique that you are boss or "break" them. You have to figure out the behavior you want and make it worth their while. If they think it is their idea or want to do it then they will do it happily.

Caiques can also bite when they get over excited and some individual caiques are prone to over excitement.

That being said. Even with size caiques I rarely get bitten. Two of mine would like to bite me quite often but I respect their preferences and space and rarely (as in I can not specifically remember the last time) get bitten.

It is all about communication and matching our expectations to what is normal bird behavior.

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Biting is a form of communication and birds that bite are usually trying to tell you something. Things like, I don't want you that close, I'm scared or that's mine and you should not touch it. Most bites are proceeded by other less aggressive communications such as moving away, pushing your hand away, turning away, eye pinning, raised feathers on the nape of the neck or vocalizations. The bird is communicating but if it is ignored or not understood then they will escalate to biting. Biting is often results in the human leaving or giving up so the bird learns to bite.

Most caiques that bite have be taught to do so (often unknowingly) by their humans.

If caiques are worse than other birds at this (I am not convinced that they are) then it is because they tend to be high strung, boisterous, know what they want and not willing to give in.

You can not convince a caique that you are boss or "break" them. You have to figure out the behavior you want and make it worth their while. If they think it is their idea or want to do it then they will do it happily.

Caiques can also bite when they get over excited and some individual caiques are prone to over excitement.

That being said. Even with size caiques I rarely get bitten. Two of mine would like to bite me quite often but I respect their preferences and space and rarely (as in I can not specifically remember the last time) get bitten.

It is all about communication and matching our expectations to what is normal bird behavior.
Thank you that was very well explained! :)