• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are Caiques really hard to find in the united states?

jahpan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
At least where I am from, central IL there is none for sale here!

KiwiandLemony

Walking the driveway
You see, caiques aren’t as common as you conures, tiels or any other species. Due to this a store, or breeders priority is to get those in first, however due to their biting, and loud nature, they are sadly rehomed often, because of this rescues often have an abundance of them, in fact a rescue near me currently has three! If your looking for a baby you can be put on a wait list at a larger breeder or store, they usually get them every breeding season.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It probably depends on where you live. Although not as common as conures, tiels, etc. we do have them here. Both local breeders and they periodically show up at our rescue too.

Conure101

Rollerblading along the road
You can also find them at websites, but be careful and research the web first. Don’t want to be scammed.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
They're pretty common on the east coast. If you can take a road trip to PA/NJ/NY or get one shipped then you can definitely find one.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
There's 6 little babies currently at the store I frequent, southern California, but I believe they are all sold white belly and black head. There is normally a waiting list for them. I have never seen a green thighed caique in person though.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
At least where I am from, central IL there is none for sale here!
There's one at a place in bay city... Named fred astaire. A cuddle bunny. But he may be gone now. They tend to sell fast. A black caped caique.

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
You see, caiques aren’t as common as you conures, tiels or any other species. Due to this a store, or breeders priority is to get those in first, however due to their biting, and loud nature, they are sadly rehomed often, because of this rescues often have an abundance of them, in fact a rescue near me currently has three! If your looking for a baby you can be put on a wait list at a larger breeder or store, they usually get them every breeding season.
Is there biting from being hand raised or like being older and adopted?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Biting can be from a lot of things actually. I have a BHC, and he can be rather unpredictable at times. He was abandoned at a local bird store a few years ago. Someone had brought him in to board, but never returned for him.

Caiques have been referred to as Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde birds. In the case of my BHC, his bite will come out of nowhere. If he decides to target someone, there's absolutely no warning that I can see. He'll latch on and basically slice away, not wanting to let go. If my other birds ever bite, they usually strike once and then they're done.

I don't want to generalize and say that all BHC's are like this, but if you read up on them, you will see others describe similar events. On the other hand, caiques are delightful little clowns with lots of spunk and energy. They're funny with unique personalities!

jahpan

Avenue Veteran
-le sigh- I forget how expensive they are, rip. They are so adorable!

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I see them sometimes at the local bird fair, but not very often. Sort of glad they aren't that easy to obtain. With their Jekyll/Hyde attitudes they are rehomed a lot. I love their personalities, but some can be quite difficult. I pet sit for one for a bit and man he was terrifying. He would go from hilarious clowning around to demon in a split second.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
^ ^ I agree. They pinch more often than an outright bite. They also want to be into everything you are doing , which could be why they seem to bite more.